When to apply to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foodjunkie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'll be graduating within the next months with a degree in business. I have considered attending med school, I have no science background (only biology course-freshman year of college). I would be graduating with a GPA of 3.4 and above. Im would prefer in attending till fall of 2012. What should I do?

Foodjunkie

Members don't see this ad.

Not feasible. You're looking at 2013 entry at the earliest.

Yeah sorry, you're not attending in 2012. You need to complete about 8 science courses, take the MCAT, then apply. If you did the 8 courses starting this summer, you could apply in 2012 at the earliest, matriculate in 2013. Realistically, you would apply 2013 and start 2014.

But more to the point, you have a lot more learning/thinking to do before you get on this path. Go talk to a doctor/nurse/EMT/med student/premed student/read a lot of posts on SDN, then decide if you want to do this, then make a plan. Don't be under the illusion that you can all of a sudden decide to do this and be a doctor 4 years from now. It's a long-ass road.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be discouraging, just encouraging you to do your research, and telling you that, IMHO, you still have a lot of research to do. Good luck though.