When to Apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicFL

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question? I am looking to graduate probally fall of 2008. I am trying to finish in time for the opening of UCF's medical school in 2009. I will be taking my Mcat this summer or at the latest Dec 07 or Jan 08. All my Prereq's will be done by the time I take the Mcat. But my question is do you have to have your degree finished by the time you apply or do you apply in your last semester? Also since all my Prereq's and Mcat will be done in the summer should I just go ahead and apply then?

Members don't see this ad.

First, you should not be so concerned with applying to UCF - the school isn't even built yet and there are 4 established allopathic medical programs in Florida. Further, what you would gather if you searched around on the site first, is that you should take your MCAT in the spring of the year you will be applying in: for you, sometime in early 2008. Then have your AMCAS completed as soon as possible after it comes out in June 2008, complete secondaries as they come in, and hope for the best.

So if I am looking to start Med School in 2009, I will finish my BS in fall 08 will this be enough time to get all my apps out and everything in order? I will be taking my MCAT spring or summer of 08.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm also looking at UCF, but hopefully will get in a little sooner than 2009. Also be aware that they originally planned for 2008, but pushed it back, and have yet to say *for sure* that 2009 is their starting year. And most applicants apply to many schools (10-15), so don't limit yourself unless it's for a really good reason.

That said, you want to apply in the June that is a little over a year before your anticipated start date, for you, June 2008. Have all your Letters of Rec by then, and do secondaries over the summer. You'll hopefully interview in the fall, and then graduate in the Spring, then start med school Fall of 2009.

Thank you, I want to stay local because I work in the EMS system here, and have spent a lot of time getting where I am. I have a great research job at ORMC which also happenes to have one of the Top ER rotations in the US, lots of local connections. I dont have the strongest GPA which is why I figured being a first year school might be a little easier to get in, I am not limiting myself though. FSU has a regional campus in Orlando so that wouldnt be bad either...