When to apply?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by kodyfied, Apr 25, 2007.

1. kodyfied

10+ Year Member

Hi,

I know that everyone says apply as early as possible. I am taking 2 summer courses this summer in order to boost my gpa. I really want those grades to count when I apply, because I think it'll give me a better chance to getting interviews. So what should I do? Should I apply ASAP when the AMCAS application system is open in June and send in my summer grades later separately to the schools? Or should I wait until I get my summer grades to apply to AMCAS? I'm guessing this will be sometime in August. Please let me know what you all think. Thank you!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Robizzle

Robizzle 1K Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Couple of things come to mind:

1) 2 classes aren't gonna make a big difference. 3.49 vs. 3.51 big whoop.
    2) You didn't tell us your current GPA or your GPA after you ace your classes
    3) Who says you're gonna ace your classes

Apply in June.

4. TheGreatHunt

TheGreatHunt High Performance
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I've got the same story, I'll definitely get A's in my two classes during the summer... Just fill out your app, send it in ASAP, and then add the grades in when they come back after summer! Hope your classes go well!

5. Wanna_B_Scutty

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You can't add grades once you submit AMCAS. You'll need to choose what's more important to you: having those A's factored in or applying early.

That having been said, you can send schools an update once your summer grades come out in which you tell them about your new grades. However, the odds of the school recalculating your AMCAS stats are about 0.000001%

6. TheAmazingGOB

TheAmazingGOB It ain't easy bein' white
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    If 2 A's are going to boost your GPA that much, you're in for a rude awakening. Apply now!

7. BigRedPremed

BigRedPremed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Unless those two courses are worth 25 credits each, they aren't going to do much for your GPA. Apply in June and update the med schools individually once those summer grades come out.

8. MChitty

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    To play devil's advocate, I feel like that depends. I wasn't a science major and my BCPM is only the pre-reqs...so if I took two classes this summer and got A's in both of them, my GPA would go up by .15....pretty significant.

That being said, my pre-med advisor told me if I reapply, waiting to submit AMCAS that late wouldn't be worth the boost...

9. CTtarheel

CTtarheel Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Right . . . you have to do the math and figure out how much 2 A's are going to help you. I would say anything greater than .05 seriously warrants considering waiting (especially if it puts you over a hump (i.e. 3.6x to 3.7x) (yes i know that this makes no sense, but at first glance a 3.71 seems much higher than a 3.69)). Anything less than that is not worth the wait, especially if you're going both summer sessions.

And a note about sending updates later:
    THEY MAY OR MAY NOT ACTUALLY GET READ!
    -especially with grades, no school will go recalculate your GPA and like i said, and update letter may just get tossed in your file and will likely not make a difference. Send one, but don't expect it to be a deal maker.