Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

When To Apply?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by FLH1317, Jun 16, 2008.

  1. FLH1317

    5+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2007
    Messages:
    19
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    I recently took the MCAT's in April and completely bombed it. So now I am retaking them in August. However that means I wont receive my scores until September. Now my most pertinent question is: Is September to late to apply?
     
  2. Caesar

    Caesar In Memory of Riley Jane
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 26, 2007
    Messages:
    17,037
    Likes Received:
    71
    Status:
    Resident [Any Field]
    It is a bit late, I'd submit AMCAS now and state that you are taking the MCAT again,and try to be put on a hold until the scores are release. Call the schools you intend to apply to and see what they say.
     
  3. mattng

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2007
    Messages:
    310
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Medical Student
    Well the first question to ask is what is your other stats? (GPA, ECs, etc...) Are they stellar to help out with the MCAT or below par? Secondly, what do you expect to get when you retake the MCAT. On your first MCAT, whatever score you got, how did you prepare for it? Did you get a low score after months and months of studying or did you feel unprepared for it?

    Let's say you were unprepared for the first MCAT. Study hard over the summer and take a lot of practice tests from AAMC. They are pretty good indicators as to how well you will do. Now if you feel that you have a stellar GPA and ECs and that you will get an excellent score on the MCAT come August, then I say get your AMCAS verified and go for it. Tell them you are planning on taking the September MCAT. But then again, schools do filter out low MCAT scores, so I would recommend getting it verified, but wait until your scores come in in September and decide to do from there. If it's a great score, then it wouldn't matter when you would apply, but if it is subpar, then I would recommend waiting until next year.

    Also, have you considered D.O.?
     
  4. UMFdoc

    2+ Year Member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2008
    Messages:
    16
    Likes Received:
    0
    Status:
    Pre-Medical
    I am on the same boat. I sent in my AMCAS with the future MCAT date on it. But I live in Florida and had already listed all of the Florida schools on there. I called the schools and they said that if the rest of the application is good, then they will send out a secondary and wait for the new MCAT.


    Does anyone know what happens if they dont send me a secondary now?? Did I lose my shot? Do they reconsider you when the new score comes out?


    For the person above, I recommend you call the schools. The admissions offices I have called have all been very helpful, and you can have a better idea of what to do.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

Share This Page