SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

When To Apply?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by FLH1317, Jun 16, 2008.

1. FLH1317

FLH1317 5+ Year Member

Oct 19, 2007
    I recently took the MCAT's in April and completely bombed it. So now I am retaking them in August. However that means I wont receive my scores until September. Now my most pertinent question is: Is September to late to apply?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Caesar

Caesar In Memory of Riley Jane Physician Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Sep 26, 2007
    hSDN Alumni
    It is a bit late, I'd submit AMCAS now and state that you are taking the MCAT again,and try to be put on a hold until the scores are release. Call the schools you intend to apply to and see what they say.
  4. mattng

mattng 2+ Year Member

Sep 15, 2007
    Well the first question to ask is what is your other stats? (GPA, ECs, etc...) Are they stellar to help out with the MCAT or below par? Secondly, what do you expect to get when you retake the MCAT. On your first MCAT, whatever score you got, how did you prepare for it? Did you get a low score after months and months of studying or did you feel unprepared for it?

Let's say you were unprepared for the first MCAT. Study hard over the summer and take a lot of practice tests from AAMC. They are pretty good indicators as to how well you will do. Now if you feel that you have a stellar GPA and ECs and that you will get an excellent score on the MCAT come August, then I say get your AMCAS verified and go for it. Tell them you are planning on taking the September MCAT. But then again, schools do filter out low MCAT scores, so I would recommend getting it verified, but wait until your scores come in in September and decide to do from there. If it's a great score, then it wouldn't matter when you would apply, but if it is subpar, then I would recommend waiting until next year.

Also, have you considered D.O.?
  5. UMFdoc

UMFdoc 2+ Year Member

Jun 11, 2008
    I am on the same boat. I sent in my AMCAS with the future MCAT date on it. But I live in Florida and had already listed all of the Florida schools on there. I called the schools and they said that if the rest of the application is good, then they will send out a secondary and wait for the new MCAT.

Does anyone know what happens if they dont send me a secondary now?? Did I lose my shot? Do they reconsider you when the new score comes out?

For the person above, I recommend you call the schools. The admissions offices I have called have all been very helpful, and you can have a better idea of what to do.