When to Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Poolie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys!
I am currently trying to decide when to take my MCAT. My choices are April 23, May 21, and June 17. I don't know if I will be ready for the April 23 one, May 21 is the day before graduation, and June 17 might be too late.

Is there a big difference in applying in June vs. mid-July?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be fine. You don't have to wait to apply until your MCAT arrives. Submit your app and schools will get everything but your score. When your score arrives and your packet is complete, they'll start to review. Mid-July is totally fine.

It probably won't make too much of a difference :cool: but I would personally go for the May MCAT. It will make your graduation feel that much better.

Also, if you visit SDN frequently during your application process, applying in July might make you feel like you are behind in the game :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be fine. You don't have to wait to apply until your MCAT arrives. Submit your app and schools will get everything but your score. When your score arrives and your packet is complete, they'll start to review. Mid-July is totally fine.

This is what I would recommend, if you choose a later test. You can apply earlier and then take the MCAT. Most schools will send you secondaries to start before getting your score.

I would take the May one if you felt ready though. Nice to have it out of the way.

Goodman is right. Apply June 1. Take the June 17 MCAT. Turn in your 2ndaries within a day or two. You will still be in the early applicant pool.

Thanks Guys, this is really helpful. One of my friends was trying to tell me the same thing, but I wasn't sure if he was right. :)