When to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TC714

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question about when to apply for pharmacy school. Did you guys apply after done with all the pre-requisite or just when you guys finish general chemistry and general biology? Could anyone tell me more details about when to apply? I highly appreciate your input. Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

Most pharmacy schools do not require a baccalaureate degree for admission, so if you are an amazing person who has selflessly dedicated yourself by doing community service, with exceptional communication and leadership skills, and fulfilled most of your the pre-pharmacy prerequisites, you can apply after two years of undergraduate work, which is the average amount of time needed to complete general chemistry, biology, physics, organic chemistry, calculus, English, etc. If you get accepted to a PharmD program, you have until the summer before you matriculate to complete all the requirements. I think Tri mentioned that UCSFpharmgirl is one of those exceptional people who managed to gain admission without a baccalaureate degree. You might want to ask her for some advice.

Whether or not you can get in without a bachelor's will depend a lot on what school you're trying to get in to. UCSF (neonam's school) is one of the most competitive schools in the country, and it would be very difficult to get into a place like that without a degree. However, not all pharmacy schools are as selective as UCSF, thank heavens! It's certainly possible to get into pharm school without a BA, although some schools make it more difficult than others. Get in touch with an adviser at the schools you're considering and ask them for their thoughts.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can certainly get into pharmacy school without having a bachelor's degree. However, you have to plan out which classes to take for each semester, considering there are so many classes to take in only two years. If you pass your AP tests from high school, that would help a lot too since you can get some of classes out of the way, such as Calculus, Chemistry...and so on. Just be ready to take 2 or even 3 science classes in one semester. I still remember there was one semester when I took Microbiology, Physiology, and Organic Chem 2 all at the same time. That means I had 3 lectures and 3 labs in the same week...crazy me.....I don't recommend doing that....:)

Originally posted by pharmangel
If you pass your AP tests from high school, that would help a lot too since you can get some of classes out of the way, such as Calculus, Chemistry...and so on. Just be ready to take 2 or even 3 science classes in one semester. I still remember there was one semester when I took Microbiology, Physiology, and Organic Chem 2 all at the same time. That means I had 3 lectures and 3 labs in the same week...crazy me.....I don't recommend doing that....:)

Check with individual schools first. UF does not accept AP classes, so it's possible that other schools do not either.

Taking all the sciences at once is kind of hectic. Last semester I took Organic II, Physics II, Microbiology, Biochemistry, and A & P I all with lectures and labs. It was a nightmare.

I think Tri mentioned that UCSFpharmgirl is one of those exceptional people who managed to gain admission without a baccalaureate degree. You might want to ask her for some advice.

It actually isn't ucsfpharmgirl, although she's as smart as they come. It's a classmate of hers who's really shy about posting on sdn.:(

If you get accepted to a PharmD program, you have until the summer before you matriculate to complete all the requirements.

Be careful though.. because not all schools allow you up until the summer before you matriculate to complete your pre-reqs... some state that they need to be done by the spring semester prior to matriculation.. it depends on the individual school...