Merlin0082

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hey guys,

I'm a current 2nd year resident, planning to apply to glaucoma next year.

I am currently working very closely with a glaucoma attending, and don't think I'll work with him much more after September. I was wondering--does it make sense to ask for a fellowship LOR this early? Feels like it may be appropriate given our time, however seems so early in the year to be asking for LORs.

Any help would be appreciated!

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Is your program super spread out such that you won't see him again?

If not you can just let him know of your intentions and then ask him for your letter in May/June Of 2nd year. That's what I did with most people.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Slide

Finally, no more "training"
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2005
Status
Attending Physician
It never hurts to ask earlier, though September might be too early (maybe March-April). Summer is a crazy time period and fellowship letters need to be in sooner than for regular ophthalmology match. Between June and July, the transition to new residents/fellows can delay letter requests dangerously close to the deadline. I personally recommend trying to have all letters ready to be sent off in June for that reason for fellowships.

100D

2+ Year Member
May 17, 2015
Status
Attending Physician
Agree with above. Wouldn't hurt to ask now, and they may just ask you to remind them in the spring. Some like to write it while you're fresh in their minds, but this goes more for students; usually as a resident you have access to your attendings all the time.