When to ask for reference letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRA96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently shadowing a doctor in my hometown. I have a very good relationship with her and am hoping to get a reference letter from her. I won't be applying to med school until next year. Should I ask for the letter now while our mentor-mentee relationship is fresh in her mind or next year when I am getting my application together?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently shadowing a doctor in my hometown. I have a very good relationship with her and am hoping to get a reference letter from her. I won't be applying to med school until next year. Should I ask for the letter now while our mentor-mentee relationship is fresh in her mind or next year when I am getting my application together?
You do not need a reference letter from shadowing. Unless you are applying DO, then you would need one from a DO.

Reactions: 1 user
1. Agree that physician shadow letters are the least important type of rec letters
2. You can get an Interfolio account, have her do it and submit it now, and just put it in the app when it opens.

Members don't see this ad :)
You do not need a reference letter from shadowing. Unless you are applying DO, then you would need one from a DO.
Also U of UT and one or two other exceptions, I think. Some committees also want it. Interfolio seems like the best thing in this instance.

I agree with the above. The only time when a physician letter can be useful for MD schools is if it is a doctor that you actually worked with in a clinical setting or did research with.

I agree with the above. The only time when a physician letter can be useful for MD schools is if it is a doctor that you actually worked with in a clinical setting or did research with.
Agree, and to follow up, maybe three MD schools also require an MD LOR. U UT, Rosy F and ???

Agree, and to follow up, maybe three MD schools also require an MD LOR. U UT, Rosy F and ???
U of AZ College of Medicine - Tucson (also highly recommended for the UAZ med school in Phoenix).

I found interfolio so helpful this app cycle.. and if I need to apply again it's a huge relief to know my letters are there and I can access them. I highly recommend it. So you could get her letter in now and just have it for when you apply next spring/summer.

Having a physician letter can't hurt. AMCAS gives you ten LOR slots.