When to buy disability insurance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wildsheepchase

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a D4 soon to graduate and going to do an one-year AEGD. I've been seeing a lot of offers on locking down the student rate for disability insurance. Would it be a good time to get disability insurance right now or wait until I start working? And do most dentists get disability insurance?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a D4 soon to graduate and going to do an one-year AEGD. I've been seeing a lot of offers on locking down the student rate for disability insurance. Would it be a good time to get disability insurance right now or wait until I start working? And do most dentists get disability insurance?

Lock in a rate before you graduate. You scale it up later. You should probably pay $100-150 a month in disability insurance initially. I'm entering specialty training and about to take out a second policy. Disability insurance is the most valuable insurance you'll purchase. If for any reason you can't continue performing dentistry, you collect your entire disability policy tax free. And you can continue to work doing something else. Many dentists retire early for qualifying disabilities; it is not uncommon at all.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are you a member of the American Student Dental Association?
I think they offer just what you are looking for.

Last edited:
Buy it now while you are healthy and the premium is cheap. I had to file when I was 36. I get messages from doctors in their 40s looking to buy it and the premiums go up as you get older and as you get diagnosed with random stuff as you age.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
A few weeks before you graduate. You want an option to increase coverage without a medical examination.

Don’t go to a chiropractor, physical therapist, or anything else for treatment until you have a policy in place unless you’re paying cash. otherwise you might get hit with exclusions.

Don’t get a policy through an association like the ADA because you get locked into a membership you may not want to keep.

A lot of my colleagues think disability insurance is a waste of money. One of them had a major car accident that prevented him from working for almost 3 months and he still maintained the same view that disability is a waste of money. As soon as I paid off the student loans, I cancelled my wife’s policy but I still keep mine until now. And now that I am 100 % debt-free, I am thinking of cancelling my disability policy as well. Both my wife and I have life insurance.

I used to think it was a waste of money. I did not do risky things like ski or play contact sports. I didn't even like running because I was always afraid I'd slip and fall and get hurt badly. I got hit out of nowhere with my disabling event; my body just decided to turn on me. Your colleague is lucky he was able to return to work. I met several people under 40 with spinal cord injuries when I was hospitalized for months who were completely paralyzed from the neck down from car crashes, pool accidents, stair accidents, slipping on the floor. I have a small regret of not increasing my policy when I was making good associate orthodontist money a few years prior to the incident and had the option to increase coverage. I didn't increase it because I was like "why, I can think of so many more fun ways to spend this money." But I had no idea what the future had in store for me so I don't dwell on the regret.

One does not have to have disability insurance. If you are wealthy enough to maintain your lifestyle without your dentist paycheck, then why bother. If I didn't have it, we would not be on the street as my spouse works full time. But it definitely helps maintain a better lifestyle for our kids.

Reactions: 2 users
I used to think it was a waste of money. I did not do risky things like ski or play contact sports. I didn't even like running because I was always afraid I'd slip and fall and get hurt badly. I got hit out of nowhere with my disabling event; my body just decided to turn on me. Your colleague is lucky he was able to return to work. I met several people under 40 with spinal cord injuries when I was hospitalized for months who were completely paralyzed from the neck down from car crashes, pool accidents, stair accidents, slipping on the floor. I have a small regret of not increasing my policy when I was making good associate orthodontist money a few years prior to the incident and had the option to increase coverage. I didn't increase it because I was like "why, I can think of so many more fun ways to spend this money." But I had no idea what the future had in store for me so I don't dwell on the regret.

One does not have to have disability insurance. If you are wealthy enough to maintain your lifestyle without your dentist paycheck, then why bother. If I didn't have it, we would not be on the street as my spouse works full time. But it definitely helps maintain a better lifestyle for our kids.
I didn’t think it’s a waste of money either. That’s why I’ve kept paying for mine until now. Now that I no longer have the burden of paying bills every month and my kids will attend colleges soon, I plan not to renew it.

Anyone have any recommendations on who to get the policy through?

I didn’t think it’s a waste of money either. That’s why I’ve kept paying for mine until now. Now that I no longer have the burden of paying bills every month and my kids will attend colleges soon, I plan not to renew it.

I meant your colleague saying disability was a waste despite having lost time from work due a car crash. That reeks of arrogance and our profession is certainly full of people who think the same.

Anyone like to share their rates? I'm shopping around as well.

Rates vary a good bit based on age, gender, medical specialty, your state of residency, benefit load desired and optional features. Understanding that there a ton of variables the reality is 'most' residents are between $16-$25 per month for every $1,000 of monthly benefit.

Rates vary a good bit based on age, gender, medical specialty, your state of residency, benefit load desired and optional features. Understanding that there a ton of variables the reality is 'most' residents are between $16-$25 per month for every $1,000 of monthly benefit.
I'm in my early 30s offered $15,000 a month with 3 month waiting period before pay at $247/month. Does this sound reasonable?

I'm in my early 30s offered $15,000 a month with 3 month waiting period before pay at $247/month. Does this sound reasonable?
Sounds about right. I bought mine 20 years ago when I was a 2nd year resident (29 yo). I currently pay $1700/year (the rate hasn’t changed). If something bad happens to me, I only get $6k a month. There is also a 3 month waiting period. MassMutual is the insurance company.

Reactions: 1 users
Sure. That cost per dollar is in line, my assumption is that it is a level premium (Not Graded), benefits to age 65, true own specialty definition of disability, full residual, increase options and not assuming large dividends to offset premium.