HopefulDoc1984

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2007
Status
Medical Student
I wanted some opinions on when a person should call it quits and just take the test. My last day of class is in the first week of May and I scheduled the USMLE for June 11. However, I have been studying most of the semester off and on. I took NBME 5 last week and got a 234 without having GI and derm courses yet. Is it a good idea to keep my test date the way it is or just take it soon after classes are over so I can have time off before starting rotations? I would be happy with anything in the 240's but obviously the higher score the better. I am just paranoid that I will take the test early and score average and then be pissed that I took is so early when I had time to study more.

MilkmanAl

Al the Ass Mod
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 23, 2008
Kansas City, MO
www.facebook.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I'd just leave it, personally. Make sure you have the GI and derm stuff down, and then just hammer practice questions from whenever you're done doing that until the test. You've definitely set yourself up for a huge score. Nice work!

Mar 25, 2010
Michigan
Status
Medical Student
I saw this thread, and said to myself "hey thats me!!"... Then I read that your slammin a 234 on NBME exams.. So yea, this is no help!! haha

badasshairday

Vascular and Interventional Radiology
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Assuming you start rotations on July 1st, I think you can leave it as is. If anything, reschedule to the end of May, so you have 3 weeks of hardcore study. That should be more than sufficient for you at your level. You don't want to burn out.

vicinihil

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Leave it until the end of classes and see how you feel. If you're still golden then go ahead and move it forward but a little extra studying never hurt anyone =) good luck