when to call it quits...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jj08

once UR a Jem girl...
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

If that's the decision you've come to then, you should be happy with it. If you're only saying it b/c you're frustrated and "at a low" then, you'll eventually come to regret it. Sometimes (and I'm sure you know this already) what we want out of this life is going to be a struggle; more of a struggle for some than for others. But, i know from experience that we who have to struggle to achieve the goal are the ones who will definitely cherish and appreciate it more.

If you want this, then GO FOR IT! No matter how long it takes, in the end when you succeed you'll relish it. I read a book, Becoming a Doctor, by Melvin Konner not too long ago and I feel that would be great reading and a good motivator for anyone with thoughts such as those you have posted.

Read the book and tell me what you think. BTW, Good Luck in whatever you decide to do.

Corey.

I think you should ABSOLUTELY take a review course before you give up.

The averge MCAT score increase after a review course is 8 points. If you were able to manage an 8 point increase, you would be a competitive applicant.

If you are willing to put the work into a post-bacc program (twice) you should also be willing to invest in a thurough review course.

Also, do you take practice tests? If so, how do your scores correlate between the practice tests and the real test?

good luck.

what are your grades like? if everything else in your profile is fine, then it would be worth taking a review course. How have you prepared for the MCAT in the past... did you take practice tests?

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, it just doesn't seem like you have the motivation to acheieve an acceptable score.

Your post-bacc program was keeping you busy?? That's like the mom who couldn't get her 7 year old with a 105 degree temp to the ER because she had too many errands to run that day.

When you have a sub-20 mcat score, doing WHATEVER it takes to improve that mcat score is 1000000x more important than the difference between an A and a B in a post-bacc class. How many verbal practice tests did you take? How many practice tests overall did you take?

Really, most people who hit a sub-20 on their first mcat score realize they have A LOT of work to do and get to it. It sounds like you just flipped through a review book(and only one section at that!!) and figured you would give it another go.

And why two post-bacc programs? Were your first post-bacc grades poor? If so, I've never heard of a post-post-bacc to make up for a bad post-bacc. And if they were good, what would be the point of another?

And what is with the attitude towards DO schools? You have a 19 and a 20 on the MCAT. Unless you have 4+ years of experience as an RN or PA, you aren't even close to being competitive for DO schools. As for the carribean, you would need to improve your mcat scores at least some to get into SGU. Ross/SABA/AUC you could enroll at.

You've just got to make a really hard decision and try to decide if you want to enroll in an mcat course for the april testing. But if you do decide to do it, spend several hours a day working towards that goal. Go on ebay and buy lots of other practice tests in addition to the ones from whatever prep company you use.

wait a sec, you were all set to get into med school by completing a conditional admit program and then everything fell apart because you couldn't drag yourself down to the ER once a week and volunteer?

one question:

1) What kind of program lets sub-20 mcat scores into a conditional admit program that doesn't require a much higher mcat scores? The only ones I have heard like this are for URM's only.....are you a URM? If so, that changes everything and you should keep trying because you aren't that far away from getting an acceptance.

With a decent gpa and a 22 or so, you would be very competitive. You CAN bring your score up 3 points easily!!

i strongly recommend taking a review course. i know they're costly but think of it as an investment.
good luck