When to do all of this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MJJ

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Would you be kind enough to educate me on the timeline of things during 4th year?

1. I am currently a 3rd year DO student and want to know when I should take COMLEX step 2?

2. When to start applying for away rotations?

3. I know, from ERAS website, that this year's match the DO application opened up on July 15th 2008. My 3rd year ends in mid-June. How is there enough time to do a couple away rotations and get LORs if I want to complete my application early?

For example, I wanted to have application done ASAP after July 15th, but I cannot do that if I do not have my LORs. Did anyone else encounter this problem?

My school (will remain un-named) is really bad at informing us about this so I wanted to start researching this on my own.

Thank you to all that respond...please relieve some anxiety. :)

MJJ

Members don't see this ad.

Take step II early, like right at the beginning of 4th year. I took it really really late and had one program tell me they will not even put you on the match list if your scores aren't in yet.

Thank you for your response...anyone else have the answers to some/any of these questions.

your help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response...anyone else have the answers to some/any of these questions.

your help would be greatly appreciated.

MJJ, although the ERAS application opens in mid-July, programs will not actually receive applications until September 1st. So you still have plenty of time.

Take step 2 no later than September of your fourth year because you will receive interview invites for osteopathic residencies as early as October. Its great to have the test already under your belt as you begin the long tiresome road of interview season (October-January). Also if you do well...its perfect to bring up and discuss at interviews and residency directors like to see that you already took and passed it, its one less thing for them to worry about with regard to your application. Also dont forget to schedule the PE early...it take forever to get your scores back and again PD's like to see that its done and passed...one less liability for them.

As far as letters of rec, be sure to schedule your "showcase rotations" at the programs you think you will rank highly July-October of fourth year. The earlier the better, this way they will know you when they review apps and you will get LOR's from those programs. Believe me...its a great feeling to interview at a program that knows you and likes you, not only does it make the interview experience better, and they will take into consideration that they witnessed your work ethic and commitment to the program firsthand!

As far as when to schedule your fourth year electives?....As soon as you can. I began contacting programs in the middle of third year! If they could'nt schedule me at that time, they simply told me when to call back to formally schedule.

Good luck

Good for you in researching this now.

1. I agree with previous posts. Taking COMLEX 2 by September is good timing. Even earlier is fine, if you can carve out some study time. I would also take the PE early as well, even at the end of third year once you're comfortable with your physical exam skills. It is one less thing to worry about, and your skills at the end of core rotations are going to be as good as any time during 4th year.

2. If you have ideas about away rotations now, give them a call to see when they expect applications and to get a sense of their timeline. You are likely too early to apply now for many, but it definitely doesn't hurt to get an idea. (I didn't schedule mine until well into fourth year, and that also worked out, but I missed a few opportunities because I waited so long).

3. You can submit a partially "completed" ERAS application. It will just get updated as LORs get sent in. Start working on your personal statement early (it's by far the hardest part), and submit it and your CV etc as soon after the deadline as possible. (You'll see that the CV is pretty much the only thing that you can't change later). It is not unheard of (depending on field/program etc) to receive interview offers even before all LORs are in. Of course, you can ask for LORs from third year rotations as well; those can then be submitted early.

Good luck.