When to fit in a Master's degree during med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NNguyenMD

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm interested in fitting in a master's degree in solid public policy program at the University next to my med school, but wonder when is the most feasible time to accomplish this. I'm reaching the end of my second year, and this year's deadline to apply has already passed, when's the next best window of opportunity to make this happen?

Its the Syracuse University Maxwell School of Public Affairs, if anyone here has had an background with their MPA program. All comments and info appreciated! Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

after 2nd year is really the best time. in between 3rd and 4th year would also work, but not quite as well. you may also do an MPA during residency/fellowship, depending on your program.

the standard time to take a break is after 2nd year. i thought long and hard about when to take a break for law school. while in some ways it makes sense to leave after 3rd year, you risk forgetting clinical skills and knowledge. perhaps more detrimental is coming back and having to get ready to send out residency apps and go through that whole process.

i would talk to the graduate program. deadlines in grad school are notoriously flexible. explain your situation and if necessary ask your med school deans to make a call.

at late notice. You guys were great thanks!