When to give up for this year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baditude

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having doubts that I will get in this year. When do you know that it is time to start planning to reapply next year or go carribean this year? I am on "hold" at TUCOM and am waiting to hear from several schools yet. But isn't it getting late to hope for a seat?

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure but what I will say is since the new applications for 2005 start in a few months think about what you can do to improve your appliction. Shadow more D.O.'s. Try to find one in an academic position. I did that and I believe it helped me tremendously. Think about MCAT scores. Improve your personal statment. Do some soul searching. Point is if you do not get in make sure you do next time around. By all means make sure your 2005 application is submitted by the end of June.

Good Luck
Raptor5

I hate to say it, but the window for getting more interviews is closing. Most schools I've emailed have said it's a no-go after March. If you've alreayd interviewed, you still have a good shot, though. It's just that most schools have booked those remaining interviews weeks ago.

As for next year, like raptor said, find your weak areas and bone up on them. Research exp can be a great addition to your resume, even if it's nothing spectacular.

Good luck and hang in there - it's not over till it's over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, It;s not over yet, but chances are getting slimmer day by day. I would keep in touch with TUCOM and stay informed about the waitlist movement.

Have you been rejected by any schools yet? If so, get in touch with those schools and ask them to go over your application and point out their reason for rejection and ask for any pointers as to what to improve on fo next time.

I would reapply rather than carribean. DO schools are much better than carribean schools. But that is my opinion, go with what you want to do.

Good luck. I know it is rough for you now. I have walked in your shoes before so I can totally feel for you and what you are feeling right now. There's still hope and there is always next cycyle.

Good luck. Keep smiling

Hey
I agree with AmyB. The clock is against you, but there is still hope. I too, was put on "hold" at TUCOM, and then they tell me I am on the waitlist for Mare Island. BUT I was also informed that I got accepted to TUCOM Vegas.

So do what I did and email Dr. Haight and remind him how interested you are in their program. ([email protected]) He will respond to your email within a day or two. Also, maybe you could send another LOR from a DO just to boost your app when they look at it again.

I know how stressful this whole thing is. Just focus on TUCOM for right now. Good luck...

I have been in contact with Dr. Haight and he said that I am still on "hold" for Mare Island because my application was not "resolved" in the last cycle. I am hopefull but not naive about my chances. I don't think I am financially able to reapply next year (thus the caribbean idea). Well I will continue to hope

TUCOM has two campuses? NSA,why would you rather go to Mare island than Vegas? Baditude, were accepted to either campus or are still waiting on both?

Well I am on what they call hold supposedly this is above waitlist status. As far as I know this is for the Mare Island campus becuase when I applied the Las Vegas campus was not yet an option. I would accept a position at either school though. I am just having a real hard time with the waiting and uncertainity because I have a family to consider also.

Yea TUCOM has the Mare Island campus and a new Vegas campus. I guess the only reason I favor Mare Island is because I actually visited it and spoke to students who go there. So far, no one really knows much about Vegas (location, facilities, professors) so it makes me a little nervous. But I guess it could be fun being in the inaugural class.

I interviewed for Mare Island back in October, and was on "hold" until just recently. Oh, and I think this year if you apply to Mare Island you automatically get considered for Las Vegas because I never applied to Vegas.

The school doesn't give much info about Vegas, so I'm not sure if I want to go there or LECOM where I was also accepted. Let me know if you guys have any advice on that... Thanks and good luck to everyone

hello,

this is my first post on SDN! :D good times.

i scheduled my TUCOM interview last week, and the lady i spoke to said the (mare island) class is nearly half full. based on that, i think there's still plenty of time!

la volpe,

Congratulations on your interview! If there is anything I can do, please just ask! I love TUCOM!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

Originally posted by ez073323
la volpe,

Congratulations on your interview! If there is anything I can do, please just ask! I love TUCOM!

Brian Enriquez
[email protected]

thanks brian! from what i've read on SDN, you're definitely the TUCOM afficionado! nice to see such school spirit. :) i'll PM you if i think of anything!

la volpe if you get the chance meet with Brian for dinner the night before your interviw it really helps and Brian is a greqat wealth of information he really helped me not feel the least bit nervous before my intreview.

I met Brian too the night before my interview and he really does help. He tells you what to expect, introduces you to TUCOMers, and if anything, you get a chance to relax before the interview. It definitely beats sitting around the Best Western all night...lol