1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

When to move?

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by BAM!, Jul 17, 2006.

1. BAM!

BAM! Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

When is a good time to move before school starts? 3 days? Do you think that would be enough time to get settled? What are others planning?

Thanks!!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BAM!

BAM! Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

btw i'm in-state and have about 1 carload of stuff.

4. sentrosi

sentrosi INTARWEB USER
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think orientation would give you enough of a chance to settle in. Unless you need a lot of settling to function. I mean. I have some very basic necessities. Otherwise, I don't need to have my room all decorated and arranged and **** before starting school.

5. beponychick

beponychick SDN Angel
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was deciding between moving into my new place on July 1 vs August 1st. Orientation at my school is August 4th and I chose to move in on the earlier date. I didnt want to deal with unpacking right before school started. I moved in on July 1st and am STILL unpacking two weeks later. I also had a lot of stuff though so that may be why.

6. slb830

slb830 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I am planning on moving into my new apartment on August 4th - and orientation starts on August 7. Classes actually start August 14. I think that is plenty of time. I may prove myself wrong...

7. shoal

shoal Oinker!
    10+ Year Member

I agree. A few days is more than enough. No need to get all comfortable in your new surroundings. I doubt the comfort will last long. Might as well go from being unsettled to unsettled! Thats how i did it in undergrad (2 days prior) and will do 3 days prior. Its plenty of time yo.

8. SanDiegoSOD

SanDiegoSOD Milk was a bad choice
    7+ Year Member

I'm moving in three days in advance. I'd do it the day before, but the lease office is closed on Sunday. :D

9. BAM!

BAM! Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hey SanDiegoSOD,

if you're moving to VDC you can get your key from the community center, which is open 24 7.

10. browniegirl86

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I'm moving in on August 1st and orientation starts on September 5th.

BUT I do have a mandatory meeting for a class backpacking trip on August 17th, and I'm moving really far. And I need to make enough friends that I can get someone to watch my dog for 5 days :)

11. jamen316

jamen316 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm moving into my appartment on July 27th and orientation begins on August 4th. I figured a good week to get "settled" (which seems to be the Pee Wee's Playhouse word of the day here) will be enough. I realize that I'm there to work, but I have to feel somewhat comfortable in my living arrangements before starting school, otherwise I'm going to have boxes and pictures setting everywhere.

12. cbgray

cbgray Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Be careful you actually have an apartment to move into, however! I was planning on moving up to my school a week in advance, only to find that the apartment complex I was interested in didn't have anything available until the day before my orientation.

I guess it's a good thing I don't have much stuff...

13. LuisitoMD

LuisitoMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

I moved 1.5 wks before school started and I was still building IKEA furniture up until the night before, my tiny apartment was a mess... I would say... 2 wks... but I have a lot of stuff... one suburban-full.
    good luck with the moving guys!!!!!

14. jamen316

jamen316 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just got moved into my 1 BR and from the time my rent-a-truck pulled up to the time I threw away the last cardboard box, three days have passed. So, I'd say give yourself at least that long to move in, although slow movers may need about a week.

15. Wee Free Woman

Wee Free Woman One Day at a Time
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I guess it depends on your comfort level, and if there is enough to do in your new neighborhood.

Depending on how much stuff you have, it can take up to 1-3 days to drive/ship everything to your new location and also organize everything.