When to move?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BAM!

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is a good time to move before school starts? 3 days? Do you think that would be enough time to get settled? What are others planning?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

btw i'm in-state and have about 1 carload of stuff.

I think orientation would give you enough of a chance to settle in. Unless you need a lot of settling to function. I mean. I have some very basic necessities. Otherwise, I don't need to have my room all decorated and arranged and **** before starting school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was deciding between moving into my new place on July 1 vs August 1st. Orientation at my school is August 4th and I chose to move in on the earlier date. I didnt want to deal with unpacking right before school started. I moved in on July 1st and am STILL unpacking two weeks later. I also had a lot of stuff though so that may be why.

I am planning on moving into my new apartment on August 4th - and orientation starts on August 7. Classes actually start August 14. I think that is plenty of time. I may prove myself wrong...

I agree. A few days is more than enough. No need to get all comfortable in your new surroundings. I doubt the comfort will last long. Might as well go from being unsettled to unsettled! Thats how i did it in undergrad (2 days prior) and will do 3 days prior. Its plenty of time yo.

I'm moving in three days in advance. I'd do it the day before, but the lease office is closed on Sunday. :D

Hey SanDiegoSOD,

if you're moving to VDC you can get your key from the community center, which is open 24 7.

I'm moving in on August 1st and orientation starts on September 5th.

BUT I do have a mandatory meeting for a class backpacking trip on August 17th, and I'm moving really far. And I need to make enough friends that I can get someone to watch my dog for 5 days :)

I'm moving into my appartment on July 27th and orientation begins on August 4th. I figured a good week to get "settled" (which seems to be the Pee Wee's Playhouse word of the day here) will be enough. I realize that I'm there to work, but I have to feel somewhat comfortable in my living arrangements before starting school, otherwise I'm going to have boxes and pictures setting everywhere.

Be careful you actually have an apartment to move into, however! I was planning on moving up to my school a week in advance, only to find that the apartment complex I was interested in didn't have anything available until the day before my orientation.

I guess it's a good thing I don't have much stuff...

I moved 1.5 wks before school started and I was still building IKEA furniture up until the night before, my tiny apartment was a mess... I would say... 2 wks... but I have a lot of stuff... one suburban-full.
good luck with the moving guys!!!!!

I just got moved into my 1 BR and from the time my rent-a-truck pulled up to the time I threw away the last cardboard box, three days have passed. So, I'd say give yourself at least that long to move in, although slow movers may need about a week.

I guess it depends on your comfort level, and if there is enough to do in your new neighborhood.

Depending on how much stuff you have, it can take up to 1-3 days to drive/ship everything to your new location and also organize everything.