When to retake mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sooperman

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the mcat last May and scored a 25 (9PS 7VR 9BS). I am applying next year (probably DO only) so I was wondering when is the optimal time to retake the mcat? Should I retake in January or as late as June? And I don't want to take it in the middle of classes either so there's that. Please help! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Retake it whenever you've studied enough and have completed enough passages to score consistent 30+ on whatever practice AAMC's you haven't done already.

Retake it whenever you've studied enough and have completed enough passages to score consistent 30+ on whatever practice AAMC's you haven't done already.

Agree with this entirely. Except if you are applying DO, you probably don't need the high 30s average. You would be fine with getting 28s consistently.

Sent from my iPod using SDN Mobile app. Please excuse the typos.

till you can retake the aamcs and get very high 30s/40s.

not unreasonable since, presumably, you took them already. hopefully there is a sizable amount of time seperating your retakes from the initial attempts.
you get to still utilize your most valuable asset this way. just a suggestion.