When to schedule "away" rotations...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Casey

I am currently a third year medical student at a school that does not have a Rad Onc program. I am just starting to look at programs I might want to visit for electives... I have a question regarding the optimal time to schedule rotations. My school has a different schedule than most. I can start doing away rotations in April of this year. I had initially hoped to schedule electives in April and June, however, I recently spoke with a rad onc resident who advised me not to do rotations before July. His belief was that the students rotating through a program in August and September are more likely to be remembered favorably.

I had planned to take advantage of early rotations in hopes of getting early letters of recommendations. Any advice?

Thanks,
Casey

Members don't see this ad.

You can still get a letter of rec if you do the rotation in July, and even in August. You might have to have the letter sent directly to programs if it's past eras deadline, but it's not a big deal. I did a rotation in oct/november, and had a letter sent after that to programs individually.