When to send an update? No IIs yet.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moonypadfootprongs

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The first author pub likely won’t even get published until after the cycle, so just submitting it for review is not worthy of an update. The admins on here will say that anyone can submit something to Nature, but that doesn’t mean it will be published.
There is no way to tell at what phase of review your app is in at each school, but I would imagine that it won’t hurt to go ahead and send the updated info you have. The information will be looked at by the adcom, whether or not they’ve already looked at your app. I say go ahead and go for it.

Reactions: 1 user
I would definitely send it now! We're over halfway through the cycle now so if it were me I would send the update before they've had the chance to reject me. Not to mention if you did get your paper published that would be a great second update to give. You don't want to look back on the cycle and say man I wish I would have just submitted the update. So my vote is to pull the trigger.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would send an update about the new job if you are feeling like you absolutely need to send an update and would regret not doing so at this time, but I think including updated activity hours won't really matter. Generally an update should hold significant new information and according to SDN mods, it seems like getting a new job is not strong enough in the majority of cases. Also, definitely send an update/interest letter once your paper has be ACCEPTED for publication, but mentioning just a submission is generally not advised.

TBH, updates won't get you looked at sooner. They only matter if the schools are already interested in you.

Reactions: 1 user