When to send in letters of recomendation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nimujm13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is a stupid question probably, but I was just curious if I could go ahead and have professors send in letters of recommendation or if I have to wait until schools are accepting applications? I just think its a little weird to ask a professor for a letter........and then tell him to send it in 3 months later. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Our professors like you to ask them at the beginning of the summer. Then they will usually do one and sign there name over the seal to make it official. Also make sure to ask them to save it because there was a school or two that lost mine! It’s even worse to go to an optometrist after he let you shadow him and he wrote a letter for you, then to go bug him again about another letter!

nimujm13 said:
I know this is a stupid question probably, but I was just curious if I could go ahead and have professors send in letters of recommendation or if I have to wait until schools are accepting applications? I just think its a little weird to ask a professor for a letter........and then tell him to send it in 3 months later. :)

you should call the schools... i would think it's better to send the letters in when applications are being accepted, but of course, to have them in early on in the admissions process. i think you can ask for a letter now and just hold on to it, sealed of course, and send it in when application time rolls around. not sure if schools will accept them before hand and keep an "open file" for you.
when u ask letters of rec, ask about a few weeks before hand. it's just curteous (sp?) to give the person some time to write the letter and be very specific when you need it (many lag on doing a letter).
i believe berkeley requires an additional form to the letter. so just make sure u have the necessary letters of rec forms from the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
It really makes no difference when you send them in. Admissions holds on to everything that is sent to them, and starts a file for you with everything you've sent in as soon as you send your actual application.

ODtobe said:
It really makes no difference when you send them in. Admissions holds on to everything that is sent to them, and starts a file for you with everything you've sent in as soon as you send your actual application.

so does it mean if i'm applying for fall06 admissions, i can start having my letters of rec sent in?