When to send LORs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DblHelix

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm still waiting for my AMCAS primary to be verified but I have gotten a few secondary apps. Since I'm already kinda late with my app, I want to get my LORs to all the schools as fast as possible. Should I just send my letters out to all the schools I applied to, eventhough I haven't recieved most of my secondaries or should I wait to get a secondary first?

And if I should just go ahead and send them now, are the admission's office addresses on the website different from the addresses they tell you to send the LORs to in the secondaries or does it not matter?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Wait until you get the secondaries from the school...they prefer to get them after you have submitted your secondary so send the LOR as soon as you get the secondary...and complete the secondaries ASAP

But it takes my letter service a week just to mail them out so I figure why not get a head start. I'm trying to cut down on the time it takes to get my application complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
You just kinda have to time it wisely. For most of schools that don't screen, i think you will get secondaries pretty fast.
So if i were you, i would request letters probably after your primary application gets verified. Then you will get most of secondaries within a week or two, and your letters will be mailed out around the same time. I guess it also depends on when you will be done with secondaries.

But it takes my letter service a week just to mail them out so I figure why not get a head start. I'm trying to cut down on the time it takes to get my application complete.
a few schools will send you your secondary as soon as your AMCAS is verified and sent to them. others will wait a while, there's not really a way you can predict it. that and you have to fill out the secondary anyway. so if you send off your letters as soon as you get the invite, during the time you're working on the secondary, the letters will get there. barely, if any, loss in time, that is, unless you plan on zooming through your secondaries in less than two or three days.

mailing + in transit + cashing your fee check can take a few days, so i still think it's better than preemptively sending your letters everywhere.

I waited until I received about half of my secondaries, then requested that my interviewers go ahead and send the LOR's. By the time I completed all the secondaries and waited for the slow-to-mail-out recommenders, everything ended up being received within a few weeks of my secondary (ahead of or after). Seems to be working out ok, but no interviews yet.