When to send new letters of recommendation for the current application cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctora Foxy

Meow
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who are wait listed or have not been accepted yet, do you plan to send new letters of recommendation? If so, when? I ask because I want to give my professor enough time to write it. Can we send one before we hear that we are on a wait list? Will the school even look at it before then? Should I call each school and ask?

Muchas gracias in advance! :D

p.s. Would it be better to get an LOR from a doctor? I could get one from my FP doctor in addition to the prof. He once asked me to come in and shadow him, so I could do that over spring break next week and then ask him to write me one, right? Would that be good? I think he is a BUSM alumnus and I'm still waiting to hear from them.
~Dra. Foxy

Members don't see this ad.

Anything you can add to your app is helpful. You don't have to hear that you're on a waitlist. Get it done ASAP. It's probably a good idea to call the school, though, to make sure they'll accept it and take it into consideration.

GOOD LUCK! :)

You should definitely find out from each school, as some schools explicitly do not want additional materials and some welcome them. For example, schools with "unranked" waitlists such as NYMC definitely want additional letters. I was flipping through a book on the med schools at Barnes&Noble (the Barron's one I think) that mentions under each school whether or not they accept addition materials. If you are ever by B&N, you can check it out for the schools you want to know about. Otherwise, just call them. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
As someone who's on two waitlists , I feel your pain. With respect to your question, a med student friend of mine who sits on the admissions committeee at her school tells me any updated materials sent, including letters of intent , go into your file. It's a good idea to get them in sooner rather than later. Hope this helps.....best of luck !

•••quote:•••Originally posted by johnM:
•You should definitely find out from each school, as some schools explicitly do not want additional materials and some welcome them. For example, schools with "unranked" waitlists such as NYMC definitely want additional letters. I was flipping through a book on the med schools at Barnes&Noble (the Barron's one I think) that mentions under each school whether or not they accept addition materials. If you are ever by B&N, you can check it out for the schools you want to know about. Otherwise, just call them. :) •••••Cool I already have that book! I nearly forgot about it. And thanks for the info everyone!

I spoke to my premed dean today and he said it is best to send only one new LOR and ONLY if it adds something new and different to your file. So instead of my professor, I asked the volunteer coordinator at a clinic I volunteered at to write it for me. :D

hehe, and I asked my premed dean about a letter of intent and he's like "what's that?" But when I explained what I meant he also said be very careful what you write because schools do talk, i.e., don't tell every school they're your first choice :p :p

I think your pre-med dean doesn't know ****. I would send anything that you possibly think would be helpfull, regardless of the school. Worst case scenario, the school would throw the stuff out. I know of a few schools that I interviewed at who specifically said send anything or anything you think would be helpfull.