When to send thank-you cards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bionerd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, when do you guys send the thank you cards to your evaluators? Right after they says yes, until you finish collecting all your letters, or what? School is almost over, and I haven't collected all my letters yet. But I don't think I can send cards to them during summer cuz I wouldn't know where they are...so would it be tooo long to wait until school starts again during fall to send them?

Members don't see this ad.

bionerd said:
Hey, when do you guys send the thank you cards to your evaluators? Right after they says yes, until you finish collecting all your letters, or what? School is almost over, and I haven't collected all my letters yet. But I don't think I can send cards to them during summer cuz I wouldn't know where they are...so would it be tooo long to wait until school starts again during fall to send them?

no reason to get all lame. just email them a thankyou

I sent them the cards about a week after they gave me the letters. You might also wanna update them on your status at the end of the application cycle to let them know that you were successful in getting in to a certain school. It'll make them feel good and will encourage them to write more letters for other deserving students in the future.

P.S - Most profs keep some sort of office hours until at least the end of May and early June, but you'll probably have to contact them to find the exact times out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Always send personal thank-you cards----it shows class.

I think email is perfectly ok!! Especially if you've been able to get through to them by email in the past.

bionerd said:

I like e-mail to stay in touch, and say thanks, but a card is classy. Go ahead and just send them out to your evaluators. If they've completed your LORs, then great, if not, its a gentle reminder to get on the stick.

After I had my interviews, I would write a thank you card and drop it in the mailbox that day. With my BU interview, I literally walked right out of the building and dropped it in the nearest mailbox.

Writing a thank you note is better than an email. Email takes no effort...buying a card and hand writing it is the way to go. Not that it will make much of a difference in the end, but it cant hurt.

I would definitely wait until they've finished writing the actual letters. Some can unfortunately fall through, or take weeks and weeks of you pestering them and them dodging the assignment :rolleyes: .

For me, I sent one the next day after I knew they had sent the letters. And I personally love handwritten cards so that's what I did. Profs usually check their mail throughout the summer, so just send it to their office or department.

And yes, keep them updated of your acceptance status! They're always very supportive.

I'mFillingFine said:
I would definitely wait until they've finished writing the actual letters. Some can unfortunately fall through, or take weeks and weeks of you pestering them and them dodging the assignment :rolleyes: .

For me, I sent one the next day after I knew they had sent the letters. And I personally love handwritten cards so that's what I did. Profs usually check their mail throughout the summer, so just send it to their office or department.

And yes, keep them updated of your acceptance status! They're always very supportive.

Okay, well, maybe you could pester them in person or with "thank-you" emails that say, "I just want to thank you so much for working on those letters of recommendation. Have you had a chance to finish them yet? When will you get them done, do you think? Will you...because I have a really great thank you card I want to send you. You will love it!" :rolleyes: Best of luck, no matter what you do, I still vote cards.

Gulch said:
Okay, well, maybe you could pester them in person or with "thank-you" emails that say, "I just want to thank you so much for working on those letters of recommendation. Have you had a chance to finish them yet? When will you get them done, do you think? Will you...because I have a really great thank you card I want to send you. You will love it!" :rolleyes: Best of luck, no matter what you do, I still vote cards.

Haha, cute idea!

"cmon....it has glitter on it...and a little monkey saying the message.....and...I used the last bit of money on my student university card to buy it and.....*sob*"

I'mFillingFine said:
Haha, cute idea!

"cmon....it has glitter on it...and a little monkey saying the message.....and...I used the last bit of money on my student university card to buy it and.....*sob*"

now thats what I'm talking about!

bionerd said:

Go ahead and send them after the school has received their LOR or it is in your hand.

Sprgrover said:
Go ahead and send them after the school has received their LOR or it is in your hand.

I agree, it's time to send them once the Prof's themself confirm that they've sent it, or you see that AADSAS has received them via your online status.