When to send updates to schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

123Coyg

Reaction score
I just published two first-author papers, presented a first-author poster at a conference, and published an article in a magazine. When should I update schools that I have already submitted a secondary to? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I just published two first-author papers, presented a first-author poster at a conference, and published an article in a magazine. When should I update schools that I have already submitted a secondary to? Thanks!
Ask if you can give them an update after your interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
This is certainly substantial enough to warrant updating a school, however w/ most schools not even sending interviews out yet, I would wait it out a little bit. That way, in 1-2 months time you can use this to update schools and add anything else youve done in that interval. Be aware of what schools are receptive to updates and what schools arent (some explicitly state to not send anything). Jury is still out on how much an update can help, but there are certainly schools that are receptive to them. N=1 but 2 of the 3 schools i got into I had updated pre-interview. And of the 5 interviews I received i think I updated 3 of those schools. I don't think an update can hurt, unless they explicitly ask you not to send one, but it might be more beneficial to wait until after the first round of interviews and send the update sometime in September/October

This is certainly substantial enough to warrant updating a school, however w/ most schools not even sending interviews out yet, I would wait it out a little bit. That way, in 1-2 months time you can use this to update schools and add anything else youve done in that interval. Be aware of what schools are receptive to updates and what schools arent (some explicitly state to not send anything). Jury is still out on how much an update can help, but there are certainly schools that are receptive to them. N=1 but 2 of the 3 schools i got into I had updated pre-interview. And of the 5 interviews I received i think I updated 3 of those schools. I don't think an update can hurt, unless they explicitly ask you not to send one, but it might be more beneficial to wait until after the first round of interviews and send the update sometime in September/October
Very respectfully disagree. First author pubs are a big deal, and could be the difference between receiving IIs and not.

As long as a school welcomes updates, this is definitely worth one, and there is nothing to be gained by waiting to send it. If OP has more significant things to add in the future, there is no reason another update cannot be sent at that time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!

Check and see if the school is open to updates. They are all over the map in terms of if and and when they want them. Some don't want at all (e.g. U of Colorado, U of Utah). Some (e.g. Case Western) only want them if waitlisted. Some (for ex. Johns Hopkins) wlll accept them after an interview. And some (Loyola Stritch, Temple Katz for example) basically say send us anything noteworthy (Schools listed reflect policy as of last year, but they don't change much.)

However if they are open to an update and are willing to consider it before an II, then send one about these publications.

Very respectfully disagree. First author pubs are a big deal, and could be the difference between receiving IIs and not.

As long as a school welcomes updates, this is definitely worth one, and there is nothing to be gained by waiting to send it. If OP has more significant things to add in the future, there is no reason another update cannot be sent at that time.
certainly agree, they are a big deal and did not mean to give the impression that they weren't. Just was thinking OP might get more bang for their buck if they wait a few more weeks as opposed to updating while schools are still doing their first pass. Perhaps to bring OPs app back to the top of the pile so to speak. No idea how admissions works, this is just an idea and all in all, i don't think updating today or waiting a couple weeks will make or break the application. OP will decide when is best, but its clear the general consensus is definitely update all schools that are open to about this and congrats on the pubs

Status
Not open for further replies.