when to start applying to jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

April2020!

Reaction score
hello,

I am graduating residency in June but planning to take a few months off to travel/ spend time with family that lives far away (hopefully COVID will calm down). Ideally, I would like to start working in Oct. When should I start applying for jobs with this timeline? I have applied to a few so far, and crickets. I wonder if Im applying too soon? Also, Im wondering if I should expect pushback on This Oct date? Taking this time is really important to me, but I dont want to lose out on jobs bc of it either.

Members don't see this ad.

Even with an anticipated start date in October, I would still apply now.

What field are you in? And are you applying in the same geographic area as your residency program?

Reactions: 1 users
I’m in primary care (graduated med-peds this past year) and was told to start looking for jobs around Septemberish. I didn’t do that but some of my classmates had already signed contracts by November 2019 or so for an October 2020 start. I didn’t sign a contract until February (applied in January to this job). One of my classmates actually graduated residency without a job but ended up getting one shortly after. I don’t know anyone who didn’t take at least some break between residency and job.

anyway, I’m sure it depends on the field you are in but now isn’t too early at all. So I wonder if the crickets are for another reason. No clue how covid is affecting this.

I’m in primary care (graduated med-peds this past year) and was told to start looking for jobs around Septemberish. I didn’t do that but some of my classmates had already signed contracts by November 2019 or so for an October 2020 start. I didn’t sign a contract until February (applied in January to this job). One of my classmates actually graduated residency without a job but ended up getting one shortly after. I don’t know anyone who didn’t take at least some break between residency and job.

anyway, I’m sure it depends on the field you are in but now isn’t too early at all. So I wonder if the crickets are for another reason. No clue how covid is affecting this.

According to graduating EM friends COVID has turned employment into a complete disaster. Job contracts are actually being rescinded where they had been offered prior to COVID.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 3 users
COVID has made the job market much tighter--though I haven't heard of anyone getting a contract pulled, I have responded to job postings and heard back that they're putting hiring on hold, and even interviewed for a position that they later pulled due to funding concerns at the institution level.

So apply now, apply broadly.

Reactions: 1 users
Major hospitals have physician recruiters. If you’re set on a location...reach out to those hospital recruiters. Many jobs aren’t listed. Putting just a little bit of work sending out CVs can be beneficial.

I have a few people in my class of 2021 who already signed contract...