When to Start Financial Aid Stuff?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paceac

paceac441
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just received a letter from Loma Linda today with instructions about going on their website and filling out financial aid. I haven't been accepted yet so am I suppose to wait until I'm accepted or just fill it our now? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Try calling Loma Linda on Monday.

Some schools ask that you fill it out before officially getting accepted as it speeds up the process for their allocation people. But you should feel free to ask the school for clarification.

Members don't see this ad :)
UMDNJ students should have gotten a letter yesterday to fill out their forms...

Do you have to have some info/forms from the schools before you can officially apply for financial aid? I know we can do the FASFA right now but is that it until you get official forms? When do schools typically send out the financial info?

drguy22 said:
UMDNJ students should have gotten a letter yesterday to fill out their forms...

i dont think i got that form....what could that mean?!?! lets hope it doesnt mean that! What did the form say anyway?

curiouslygeorge said:
Do you have to have some info/forms from the schools before you can officially apply for financial aid? I know we can do the FASFA right now but is that it until you get official forms? When do schools typically send out the financial info?

Call the schools in question. Many only require the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Although you do have to complete your tax return to file, much of the financial information you will provide for FAFSA will come from your tax return form. Be careful: some school's have filing deadlines as early as February 28--even if you have not been interviewed yet.

trinitrotoluene said:
Call the schools in question. Many only require the Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Although you do have to complete your tax return to file, much of the financial information you will provide for FAFSA will come from your tax return form. Be careful: some school's have filing deadlines as early as February 28--even if you have not been interviewed yet.
actually you can file FASFA with guestimates based on last year's taxes. (been doing that for four years now)

I do find it odd how some schools that I havn't been accepted to have sent me loads of stuff to fill out while another that I'm in at hasn't said a word since asking for my deposit.

Does anyone know if you have to fill out the parental information even though you're not going to apply for school based financial aid...eg financial aid from the school???

I'm referring to FAFSA

CalH22a said:
Does anyone know if you have to fill out the parental information even though you're not going to apply for school based financial aid...eg financial aid from the school???

I'm referring to FAFSA

Parental info is only needed if you're interested in institutional grants, scholarships, and loans. If you are only interested in Stafford loans and outside sources, just your info is needed.

Do you use last year's info or do you calculate based on this year's W2?

I estimated from 2003, but I marked the button on FAFSA that I/my parents will file for 2004, but haven't yet. My mom's a tax accountant and she says this should let them know your numbers may not be exactly correct. However, you shoud send them copies of your 2004 W2/1040 for verification.

HrsNJ said:
Do you use last year's info or do you calculate based on this year's W2?

You use last year's and estimate... like if you earned more this year you would add that in. i have never (at least in four years of fasfa-ing) done anything more than estimate and have never had to document or send in updated stuff. i think part of the reason is that i don't qualify for any kind of needbased anythign anyway so it is not like the statistics have to be perfect. however... even for a merit-based scholarship, you have to have filed a FASFA. just do it even if you feel you don't need to. for most of us (if you file online), it is saved in their data base anyway so all you do is change a few things as needed.