When to start preparing for reapplication and how?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benignradical

Reaction score
Hey SDN,

[Stats] CA applicant here with pretty decent ECs (multiple advisors, physicians, and pre-meds reviewed my app), applied to 37 schools and have only received 1 II, 2 holds, and 4 Rs. All of my schools were complete between late July and early Sept. Was hoping for 3 IIs or so by Thanksgiving but that doesn't seem to be happening. If things remain bleak, when should I start preparing for reapplication, and how would I go about that? I've heard that the end of Nov. is a good time to start, but would appreciate any advice/feedback.

Also, drafting up an update letter to let schools know about my new job and my continued interest in them. When's the latest I should send that out by? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would apply DO right now if I were you. Typically, you should be preparing for a reapplication the whole time. You should assume you are rejected from the start until you receive an acceptance. That being said, it is recommended that MD applicants who want to avoid a reapplication should apply to DO schools if they do not have more than a couple interviews.

I understand many people prefer MD schools, but this cycle has been particularly competitive, and there is no evidence to suggest that it will go back to “normal” competitiveness next cycle. I would start on the AACOMAS application now to have it submitted by Thanksgiving.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users
I would apply DO right now if I were you. Typically, you should be preparing for a reapplication the whole time. You should assume you are rejected from the start until you receive an acceptance. That being said, it is recommended that MD applicants who want to avoid a reapplication should apply to DO schools if they do not have more than a couple interviews.

I understand many people prefer MD schools, but this cycle has been particularly competitive, and there is no evidence to suggest that it will go back to “normal” competitiveness next cycle. I would start on the AACOMAS application now to have it submitted by Thanksgiving.

It is very reasonable to assume that next year's competitiveness will return to normal.

That being said, applying DO could indeed be a good option.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey SDN,

3.8/515 CA applicant here with pretty decent ECs (multiple advisors, physicians, and pre-meds reviewed my app), applied to 38 schools and have only received 1 II, 2 holds, and 4 Rs. All of my schools were complete between late July and early Sept. Was hoping for 3 IIs or so by Thanksgiving but that doesn't seem to be happening. If things remain bleak, when should I start preparing for reapplication, and how would I go about that? I've heard that the end of Nov. is a good time to start, but would appreciate any advice/feedback.

Also, drafting up an update letter to let schools know about my new job and my continued interest in them. When's the latest I should send that out by? Thanks!
I'm not yet an applicant, let alone a reapplicant, but to my understanding, there is no magic to preparing for reapplication. To me, it means mentally preparing yourself for the possibility that you won't be attending med school in the fall, and lining up ECs, post-bacc classes, etc. that will make your reapplication stronger.

If you are already out of school, it would include getting involved in those ECs now, to the extent you aren't already. Then, it would include figuring out how to improve your PS and working on that. Finally, it would involve reassessing your school list and, to the extent possible, dropping schools that might have been unrealistic and adding schools, including DO, where you might have a better shot and where you won't be a reapplicant.

With 1 II and only 4 Rs, it's totally not crazy to think you still might have some more IIs coming your way, especially with all of the disruption caused by COVID this year. It's always prudent to prepare for possible bad outcomes, but your II indicates your application is definitely viable, and 38 schools implies your list is probably broad enough to think it is far too early for you to be packing it in for this cycle.

IIs could come anytime through March. Hoping for 3 by Thanksgiving was certainly a reasonable goal, but that fact that you do have one means more can come any day. Nothing wrong with thinking about and preparing for a reapplication now, but I'd give it until January or February before I'd start thinking that this cycle is over. Plus, of course, your II could turn into an A, and you only need one!!! Good luck!!!

Reactions: 3 users

You know it’s really interesting to see people recommend this when the reality is almost always that this won’t work. Unless you’ve shadowed and have an LOR from a DO, your app is DOA. This is very hard to get. It’s really really very hard to get if you’re in CA and there are hardly any DO’s around, and any DO that does exist is inundated with hundreds of requests to be shadowed by CA med school applicants.

• Dislike
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 11 users
Hey SDN,

3.8/515 CA applicant here with pretty decent ECs (multiple advisors, physicians, and pre-meds reviewed my app), applied to 38 schools and have only received 1 II, 2 holds, and 4 Rs. All of my schools were complete between late July and early Sept. Was hoping for 3 IIs or so by Thanksgiving but that doesn't seem to be happening. If things remain bleak, when should I start preparing for reapplication, and how would I go about that? I've heard that the end of Nov. is a good time to start, but would appreciate any advice/feedback.

Until you get that accept email in your Inbox, your are rejected.

Hence, you should be working on your re-app right now.

You should objectively assess your application and look for its weak points, and then fix those. What was your school list?

Reactions: 4 users
You know it’s really interesting to see people recommend this when the reality is almost always that this won’t work. Unless you’ve shadowed and have an LOR from a DO, your app is DOA. This is very hard to get. It’s really really very hard to get if you’re in CA and there are hardly any DO’s around, and any DO that does exist is inundated with hundreds of requests to be shadowed by CA med school applicants.
This is so untrue that it's downright malicious advice.

The majority of DO schools are OK with a DO LOR. Lacking one won't hurt, but having one always helps.

In the age of COVID, the clinician LOR requirement has been waived. For shadowing, contact each schools and see what they have to say.

Reactions: 15 users
This is so untrue that it's downright malicious advice.

The majority of DO schools are OK with a DO LOR. Lacking one won't hurt, but having one always helps.

In the age of COVID, the clinician LOR requirement has been waived. For shadowing, contact each schools and see what they have to say.
I am sorry I suppose I was misinformed. I was always under the impression that you needed to have at least shadowed a DO to be considered

This is post is filled with incorrect information. OP take everything in it with a dose of skepticism.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Until you get that accept email in your Inbox, your are rejected.

Hence, you should be working on your re-app right now.

You should objectively assess your application and look for its weak points, and then fix those. What was your school list?

Looked through my primaries and secondaries. Nothing stood out as weak, maybe that they could definitely be improved at worst. From an initial impression, my essays are somewhat meh, but I probably need to send my AMCAS around a little more and get others' opinions. Had pretty good relationships with my LOR writers unless one of them seriously snapped because of COVID stresses and wrote a scathing letter (the one II makes me think that's not the case, not sure though).

School list:

[Removed]

Last edited:
IU, U AZ (unless you are an AZ native) were donation. Many of the schools on your list are service loving, perhaps you're lacking in the service ECs.
Your essays are likely the culprit, or you're a decent candidate, but it's a very competitive year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
IU, U AZ (unless you are an AZ native) were donation. Many of the schools on your list are service loving, perhaps you're lacking in the service ECs.
Your essays are likely the culprit, or you're a decent candidate, but it's a very competitive year.
I think the service ECs are actually pretty decent (380 hours of service between underserved areas, international outreach, assisting those with disabilities; one was an MME since I really enjoyed working there). Had a few friends and advisors look over my essays, to which they said were fine. Definitely seems like mediocre essays in a competitive year is shafting me. I'm hoping the 2nd half of the cycle will go better for me.

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an interview with IU and I have zero ties to the state

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users
What was your hook?
No idea considering they don’t even issue a secondary. I don’t think they’re as hostile to oos’ers as you think they are. MSAR stats for them are decent. Seems like they interview a lot but don’t accept a lot

Last edited:
I agree. I am a successful reapplicant and it was the quality of my essays my first application cycle that dragged me down. It's a mistake to underestimate the power of your essays and submit them without being close to perfection--it's the one place to actually communicate about who you are as a person and an okay essay is a far cry from a good, engaging essay.

Reactions: 5 users
I agree. I am a successful reapplicant and it was the quality of my essays my first application cycle that dragged me down. It's a mistake to underestimate the power of your essays and submit them without being close to perfection--it's the one place to actually communicate about who you are as a person and an okay essay is a far cry from a good, engaging essay.
Seems to be the case for a lot of people. I'm not the best writer, so I'm hoping my average writing with my above-average stats/ECs can net me an A, but I'll definitely be reaching out big time for writing help if it comes down to reapplication.

Seems to be the case for a lot of people. I'm not the best writer, so I'm hoping my average writing with my above-average stats/ECs can net me an A, but I'll definitely be reaching out big time for writing help if it comes down to reapplication.
The trouble is that you're competing with people who have above average writing with above-average stats/ECs

Reactions: 1 users
The trouble is that you're competing with people who have above average writing with above-average stats/ECs
Yep, never expected myself to be near the top but rather somewhere in the middle. It comes down to how many of those folks there are (quite a lot probably), if schools would still have spots they deem worthy of extending to me after extending it to those folks, and if I would be able to do well enough in the interview to convert that spot into an A. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ end of cycle pls be fruitful

Last edited:
Why do I have the feeling that this cycle is just exceptionally competitive? I would wait a year and reapply in a more reasonable cycle next year if it doesn't work out. There is no reason someone with your stats and ECs should have to settle for DO.

No idea considering they don’t even issue a secondary. I don’t think they’re as hostile to oos’ers as you think they are. MSAR stats for them are decent. Seems like they interview a lot but don’t accept a lot
That’s the thing about IU. My nephew was interviewed in September the year he applied . He was WL and reviewed every month until June when he was finally rejected. He was OOS resident but went to school in Indiana. The same thing happened to several of his friends.

Why do I have the feeling that this cycle is just exceptionally competitive? I would wait a year and reapply in a more reasonable cycle next year if it doesn't work out. There is no reason someone with your stats and ECs should have to settle for DO.
Because it IS exceptionally competitive. Apps are up all over the country, at MD AND DO. My DO school is getting stellar apps.

Next year might not be any better, even with a COVID vaccine. It will depend upon the health of the economy.

Because it IS exceptionally competitive. Apps are up all over the country, at MD AND DO. My DO school is getting stellar apps.

Next year might not be any better, even with a COVID vaccine. It will depend upon the health of the economy.
I completely agree that more people tend to apply when the economy tanks, but I don’t understand how this would be reflected in the current cycle. COVID didn’t pick up until March, how is it possible that tens of thousands of applicants had their MCATs, ECs, and LORs ready to apply 4 months later. The timeline just doesn’t make sense. Maybe there was a large number of people who had gap year jobs lined up that were planning on applying next cycle, but due to cancellations made a change of plans? Either way, I don’t see how next cycle will not be significantly easier due to EC cancellations this year.

I completely agree that more people tend to apply when the economy tanks, but I don’t understand how this would be reflected in the current cycle. COVID didn’t pick up until March, how is it possible that tens of thousands of applicants had their MCATs, ECs, and LORs ready to apply 4 months later. The timeline just doesn’t make sense. Maybe there was a large number of people who had gap year jobs lined up that were planning on applying next cycle, but due to cancellations made a change of plans? Either way, I don’t see how next cycle will not be significantly easier due to EC cancellations this year.
I concur with your surmising. People applied earlier than they expected to, and they're looking to be very competitive, at least at my school.

I concur with your surmising. People applied earlier than they expected to, and they're looking to be very competitive, at least at my school.

If I knew it was going to be THIS competitive I would have just waited and applied next cycle.

If I knew it was going to be THIS competitive I would have just waited and applied next cycle.
lol same. I thought I had a good application with thousands of hours of research with publications, hundreds hours of clinical and non-clinial volunteering and a LM of 77 but I guess not.

• Care
  • Wow
One of the reasons apps increased is that people who were going to take a gap year decided to apply this year anyway, since they had most of their app and didn't think their chances would increase next year because of gap year EC cancellations.

I don't know why people think next year will be less competitive. An increase in apps this year almost certainly means an increase in reapplications next year, probably with less of the reapplicant stigma because of COVID. I hate to break it to you, but I think applications will continue to get competitive until we see a huge economic growth period or med schools begin increasing seats. I have no idea why people think next year will be less competitive....

One of the reasons apps increased is that people who were going to take a gap year decided to apply this year anyway, since they had most of their app and didn't think their chances would increase next year because of gap year EC cancellations.

I don't know why people think next year will be less competitive. An increase in apps this year almost certainly means an increase in reapplications next year, probably with less of the reapplicant stigma because of COVID. I hate to break it to you, but I think applications will continue to get competitive until we see a huge economic growth period or med schools begin increasing seats. I have no idea why people think next year will be less competitive....
Because of EC cancellations that will especially effect traditional applicants. Universities are banning club gatherings, hospitals aren't allowing shadowing or volunteering, research labs are prohibiting undergrads from coming in. The lab that I am employed at isn't allowing any undergrads to carry out projects. I know of 3 rising 3rd and 4th years that were planning on applying next cycle that havn't been able to come into lab. How are they going to make up 15 months of missed research experience? I imagine this is the case for the majority of 3rd years that planned to get the bulk of their ECs this year, but instead are stuck at home.

• Sad
I think the common advice is to prepare for a reapplication if you don’t have an II by Thanksgiving since 80% of the II would have gone out already by then.

Because of EC cancellations that will especially effect traditional applicants. Universities are banning club gatherings, hospitals aren't allowing shadowing or volunteering, research labs are prohibiting undergrads from coming in. The lab that I am employed at isn't allowing any undergrads to carry out projects. I know of 3 rising 3rd and 4th years that were planning on applying next cycle that havn't been able to come into lab. How are they going to make up 15 months of missed research experience? I imagine this is the case for the majority of 3rd years that planned to get the bulk of their ECs this year, but instead are stuck at home.
Ehh. I sure hope you are wrong.

Our esteemed adcoms on SDN definitely agree with you, but they were also pretty hard line about all kinds of accommodations, like AAMC making sure that everyone who needed to would be able to take the MCAT, schools accepting classes online and P/F, etc., that they said simply wouldn't have to be made due to the extreme "sellers' market." They were wrong, and the accommodations were made. One person was so freaked out he repeatedly expressed the opinion that he wouldn't be surprised if the entire cycle were cancelled due to the severe nature of the pandemic.

Didn't happen. Not even close. Schools were happy to make reasonable accommodations to ensure that their applicant pool remained robust, in order to have as wide a choice as possible in selecting their incoming classes

I am pretty sure when a critical mass of applicants are shut out of EC experiences due to COVID, schools will make accommodations, just like they did this year, as opposed to shutting those applicants out and instead being forced to admit reapplicants who would have been rejected in prior cycles merely because they have a certain number of EC hours obtained before COVID.

Time will tell, but my crystal ball has been pretty spot on with this stuff since last spring, and I will certainly not be delaying my own application another year on account of this!! I, like tens of thousands of other applicants, will apply assuming we are in good company, and those 15 months of missed research won't be expected or required, since they were impossible to obtain, just like live classes weren't expected this year, or 7 hour long MCATs, or grades in classes that were mandatory P/F.

And this is coming from someone who did push back this year, because this year you are correct. Most people did have the hours, and I would have been at a competitive disadvantage without them. That just won't be the case next year. It's the very reason the AAMC didn't tell everyone to take a hike, and the tens of thousands of people who would have been shut out this year if the test weren't shortened, and the AAMC didn't find a way to administer 3 tests per day did not ultimately find themselves in that position.

The schools are not going to knock literally tens of thousands of potential applicants out of the pool and content themselves with what is left, although there would certainly be enough people to fill a class. It didn't happen this year with the MCAT, and won't happen next year with ECs.

JMHO, but feel free to bookmark this post and come back next year and throw it in my face if I turn out to be wrong. I will literally be betting thousands of dollars in application fees, hundreds of hours in application writing, and the possibility of being a reapplicant on my opinion on this! :cool:

I don't think this year is more competitive, since I just don't think a lot of the last minute applications will be up to snuff. Similarly, I don't think next year will be less competitive, because, suddenly and magically, tens of thousands of otherwise well qualified applicants will be shut out due to reduced shadowing or research opportunities. Both cycles will be pretty much as competitive as those before and after them, with the caveat that, in general, it does seem to get a little more competitive each year as median stats rise.

Last edited:
Ehh. I sure hope you are wrong.

Our esteemed adcoms on SDN definitely agree with you, but they were also pretty hard line about all kinds of accommodations, like AAMC making sure that everyone who needed to would be able to take the MCAT, schools accepting classes online and P/F, etc., that they said simply wouldn't have to be made due to the extreme "sellers' market." They were wrong, and the accommodations were made. One person was so freaked out he repeatedly expressed the opinion that he wouldn't be surprised if the entire cycle were cancelled due to the severe nature of the pandemic.

Didn't happen. Not even close. Schools were happy to make reasonable accommodations to ensure that their applicant pool remained robust, in order to have as wide a choice as possible in selecting their incoming classes

I am pretty sure when a critical mass of applicants are shut out of EC experiences due to COVID, schools will make accommodations, just like they did this year, as opposed to shutting those applicants out and instead being forced to admit reapplicants who would have been rejected in prior cycles merely because they have a certain number of EC hours obtained before COVID.

Time will tell, but my crystal ball has been pretty spot on with this stuff since last spring, and I will certainly not be delaying my own application another year on account of this!! I, like tens of thousands of other applicants, will apply assuming we are in good company, and those 15 months of missed research won't be expected or required, since they were impossible to obtain, just like live classes weren't expected this year, or 7 hour long MCATs, or grades in classes that were mandatory P/F.

And this is coming from someone who did push back this year, because this year you are correct. Most people did have the hours, and I would have been at a competitive disadvantage without them. That just won't be the case next year. It's the very reason the AAMC didn't tell everyone to take a hike, and the tens of thousands of people who would have been shut out this year if the test weren't shortened, and the AAMC didn't find a way to administer 3 tests per day did not ultimately find themselves in that position.

The schools are not going to knock literally tens of thousands of potential applicants out of the pool and content themselves with what is left, although there would certainly be enough people to fill a class. It didn't happen this year with the MCAT, and won't happen next year with ECs.

JMHO, but feel free to bookmark this post and come back next year and throw it in my face if I turn out to be wrong. I will literally be betting thousands of dollars in application fees, hundreds of hours in application writing, and the possibility of being a reapplicant on my opinion on this! :cool:
I don't know, schools will always fill the class with the best applicants possible. I don't think they'll make any exceptions and just favor non-trads even more.

I only read some of what @KnightDoc wrote (it's just too long) but I think I agree.

I don't know, schools will always fill the class with the best applicants possible. I don't think they'll make any exceptions and just favor non-trads even more.

I don't disagree with you and I don't disagree with you on the nontrad advantage. However, the nontrads are going to be affected as well next year. The very strong ones are going to be sucked up this cycle (I'm biased here). I believe schools go off of what they know, and they know that there is a group of strong applicants in the trad pool, so they'll find ways to surmise what they can from there. All in all, you'll still be compared against your peers. And as long as the application number goes up and the applicant pool has the same 'raw talent', it'll be more competitive. What competitive looks like might be different (e.g. you'll have to find other ways to show service than clinical volunteer and other ways to show intellectual curiosity than research).

• Haha
I agree. I just happen to think the "best applicants" will be whoever they would have been before COVID, and non-trads and reapplicants who just happened, through the accident of timing, to be able to gather a few hundred hours of ECs before the pandemic, will not be deemed to be the best possible applicants to any greater degree than they already are.

Schools made exceptions this cycle for people who couldn't take live classes, they made exceptions for people who couldn't get letter grades. They'll make exceptions for people who don't have the normally expected EC hours, but otherwise have a compelling application.

It's just my opinion and I'm only a future applicant, but this is very consistent with what they did this year. Last spring, adcoms on SDN said, tough, it's a seller's market, med school isn't going anywhere. If you can't take the MCAT, you'll just have to wait another year. The schools and AAMC didn't let that happen.

Same thing here. Lack of ECs that will impact literally everyone who didn't get them before Spring 2020 just won't cause tens of thousands of people to be shut out, creating a once in a lifetime opportunity for applicants who otherwise would have been unsuccessful who happened to obtain hours prior to Spring 2020.

Not true, think about cases such as URM and military vets that can get in with much lower stats.

Hey SDN,

[Stats] CA applicant here with pretty decent ECs (multiple advisors, physicians, and pre-meds reviewed my app), applied to 37 schools and have only received 1 II, 2 holds, and 4 Rs. All of my schools were complete between late July and early Sept. Was hoping for 3 IIs or so by Thanksgiving but that doesn't seem to be happening. If things remain bleak, when should I start preparing for reapplication, and how would I go about that? I've heard that the end of Nov. is a good time to start, but would appreciate any advice/feedback.

While 3 IIs before Thanksgiving would be nice, you could still get IIs and an acceptance so don't give up hope.

However, I agree with those who wrote that in parallel to your efforts to gain acceptance this year, you either consider DO and/or start planning for a reapplication next year.

Rejection is typically caused by one of the following factors (in broad strokes) or a combo of them:
  1. You weren't competitive at the programs you applied to or failed to show fit.
  2. You didn't present your qualifications effectively.
  3. You were a victim of the numbers and intense competition.

You need to start now by assessing which of these factor could be contributing to a rejection. And don't automatically assume it's #3 alone. That's the one factor you can't influence.

To the extent that #1 played a role, you need to change the schools you applied to and/or improve your qualifications. By starting now, you can really work on improving your qualifications.

To the extent that #2 played a role, well you need to cold-bloodedly critique your applications. Did you provide specifics in your activity descriptions? Did your PS show that you have good reasons to want to become a physician?. Did your secondaries show fit with each individual program you were applying to?

Again don't give up hope for this year, AND start preparing for next!

Many medical schools offer specific pages of advice for reapplicants, something I find few students look into. This would be true whether or not you are a specific reapplicant to that school. Below are links to a few and please note most say the most common mistake among reapplicants is applying again too soon Additionally attached there is a reapplicant guide from the one of the Admissions Dean from one of the Ohio Schools.

Should I do a Masters in my gap year / WAMC / advice please

University of Miami Miller School of Medicine
Reapplicants - Miller School of Medicine Admissions
Roughly 20% of the students who apply to the University of Miami Miller School of Medicine in any given year are reapplicants. Data that we have collected indicate they have a lower acceptance rate than do first time applicants

University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Heath
http://www.med.wisc.edu/education/md/admissions/reapplying/31716
(emphasis in the original)
There should be significant improvements in your application before reapplying. This might mean not reapplying the very next year. The most common error made by reapplicants is that they submit their next application too soon.

The Ohio State University College of Medicine
Interview Tips | Ohio State College of Medicine
To maximize the chances of giving off this perception, you must allow enough time before reapplying. This will undoubtedly be the hardest part of the process, but be patient; if you rush it, you may join the ranks of those who are applying for a third time.

University of Minnesota Medical School
Re-Applicant
Though you can submit a second application immediately after your first application, you may want to consider waiting a year if you feel you need more experiences that help you demonstrate the essential and desired qualities of an ideal medical student.

University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
Reapplicants | Office of Admissions
Our Ideal Candidate | Office of Admissions

Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
http://medicine.vtc.vt.edu/admissions/re-applicants/

LSU Health Shreveport
http://www.lsuhscshreveport.edu/Education/som/admissions/reapplicants/index

University of Missouri
http://medicine.missouri.edu/admissions/nontraditional.html

East Carolina University, Brody School of Medicine
Admissions

Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC)
Common Mistakes Made by Applicants - Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine

Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine
http://www.com.msu.edu/Admissions/Guidelines_For_Success/Reapplication.htm
what do you do when you biggest mistake this cycle was school list and delays in the submission of your app? I feel my actual app is strong (520 MCAT, 3.8 GPA, 3000 hours of clinical experience, good LOR, lots of ECs) but I was late in applying and did not have the best school list (top heavy). I am suspecting my error was being late and not in my stats and activities. How to explain that when reapplying without looking like an idiot that ruined their own cycle out of overconfidence/stupidity?

what do you do when you biggest mistake this cycle was school list and delays in the submission of your app? I feel my actual app is strong (520 MCAT, 3.8 GPA, 3000 hours of clinical experience, good LOR, lots of ECs) but I was late in applying and did not have the best school list (top heavy). I am suspecting my error was being late and not in my stats and activities. How to explain that when reapplying without looking like an idiot that ruined their own cycle out of overconfidence/stupidity?
I'm not sure that you have to explain it. If you don't apply to the same schools, you are not a reapplicant! :cool:

As for any schools where you might want to reapply, maybe try to get some feedback from them first, to try to determine whether the issue was timing or something else.

I'm not sure that you have to explain it. If you don't apply to the same schools, you are not a reapplicant! :cool:
I don't think this applies to this post but just as an FYI that is true for AMCAS but not for TMDSAS (Texas schools).

I don't think this applies to this post but just as an FYI that is true for AMCAS but not for TMDSAS (Texas schools).
That's because TMDSAS is one app, with one fee, for all schools, so when you apply to one you basically apply to all, correct??

That's because TMDSAS is one app, with one fee, for all schools, so when you apply to one you basically apply to all, correct??
Honestly, that's how it's told around here but it's kind of misleading. It's pretty much the same thing as AMCAS except you do not pay additional fees to send the primary to each school. You still have secondaries and secondary fees (where the bulk of costs come from even with AMCAS) and you have to select which schools to send the application to, just like AMCAS. The only real difference is the primary is longer and has no financial disincentive to discourage applying to all of the schools (but many people still won't apply to all of them).

Honestly, that's how it's told around here but it's kind of misleading. It's pretty much the same thing as AMCAS except you do not pay additional fees to send the primary to each school. You still have secondaries and secondary fees (where the bulk of costs come from even with AMCAS) and you have to select which schools to send the application to, just like AMCAS. The only real difference is the primary is longer and has no financial disincentive to discourage applying to all of the schools (but many people still won't apply to all of them).
I took a quick look (I won't be applying TMDSAS myself) and your point is spot on for Texas applicants. They do indeed ask, and TMDSAS needs to be treated like one school, because if you have ever applied to any TMDSAS school, you are deemed to be a reapplicant at all of them.

Its hard not to look like an idiot when your behavior indicates as such.
1) As @KnightDoc pointed out, you are only a reapplicant at specific schools you previously applied to
2) not all schools ask for an explanation as to why you are a reapplicant.
3) you do need to refresh your secondaries as simply resubmitting could indicate you couldnt be bothered to anything more than cut and paste
4) in addition school list, even though you have good EC and metrics, if you didnt make a coherent, concise and compelling narrative in your W&A, PS and secondaries that showed a pattern of motivation, commitment, and achievement, they mean nothing. Unless you had several II, then assume you must completely discard your previous narrative and start over.
5) if you applied late and were top heavy, I wouldn't be surprised if your application was written in an overly confident way that did not forcefully explain why medicine with introspection, reflection and the lessons learned from ECs and other experiences as evidence supporting your themes
6) you need to have interlocking themes in the EC, PS, and secondaries to make the strongest application possible
Thanks for the detailed reply. Your first line is brutal but I deserved it. Maybe others will learn from it.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Your first line is brutal but I deserved it. Maybe others will learn from it.
Top heavy school list comes out of using tools such as medical school predictors which would have - for your stats - indicated all the top schools are "target". Hence my other post trying to understand the applicability of the LM and WARS scores etc.

you've passed the thanksgiving rule, and only have a few Rs so you're doing well!! I would say to begin thinking about reapplying now, but only pour all your energy in reapplying if you don't get an A by Mardi Gras/end of february
Appreciate it lol, yeah it's been radio silence from 31 of my schools. Since I've graduated and feel that I have fairly strong ECs, I'm thinking of how I can rewrite the narrative I have in my application/pick up a research or clinical job in the meanwhile. Like you said, I'll probably start going at it hard around then while planning things out for now.

no problem! when did you submit your primary and when were you complete for most of your schools? honestly, no news is good news. i was complete around mid august and i've gotten too many Rs and holds to keep track. like i said, you're in a good spot! it's still too early for you to seriously consider reapplication.
I'd completed all my schools throughout the tail-end of July all the way until very early September, so essentially throughout August. Primary was submitted and completed in early June.

I feel that I'm still under consideration for a good amount of my schools, but my worry is that because there are so many applicants this cycle, and because there is no harm in holding onto/hoarding IIs (given they're all remote, possibility for financial aid), that there won't be as many IIs handed out in 2021 as there were January+ last cycle, especially to a mediocre stat person such as myself. But c'est la vie, I can only hope at this point and prepare somewhat for reapp.