When to start studying for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shikki79

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How long before the August MCAT should one start studying.
I just started studying last week (so I guess I have about two months).
Any advice on a study strategy to help me make the best use of the little time I have.
(I'm taking the MCAT for the first time.)

Also what is an acceptable science gpa. Is it calculated based on the medical school prerequisites or based on every science/math class you've ever taken. (I'm a chem major that's why I was wondering).

Members don't see this ad.

the science gpa is calculated based on every science/math course you've ever taken. therefore, your upper level chem classes will be included.

hard to say when to start studying. really depends on the person. i've been out of college for 5 years so haven't seen the material in a really long time. i started studying a couple of months ago. you'll probably be fine if you you're still in college & you start studying hard now.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by shikki79:
•How long before the August MCAT should one start studying.
I just started studying last week (so I guess I have about two months).
Any advice on a study strategy to help me make the best use of the little time I have.
(I'm taking the MCAT for the first time.)

Also what is an acceptable science gpa. Is it calculated based on the medical school prerequisites or based on every science/math class you've ever taken. (I'm a chem major that's why I was wondering).•••••This is probably generic advice, but it's all about quality studying time. Most people cannot study 6 hours a day for two months; you're just going to burn out. Try to find how much time you can handle, then make those hours count. Use the other time to exercise, unwind, and mentally prepare yourself for more studying. Best studying method, that is if you are confident about the basic science, is to take practice tests under timed conditions.

Members don't see this ad :)
My anal plan :D :

Study verbal review and practice for a full year. Science review starting 4 months before the August MCATs. Science questions in 2-3 months. Last month; all extra time goes to MCAT and extra time will be made. Do as much practice exams as possible. If that plan doesn't get me a good score, you will never again see a man weep so much...

I did exactly what geneman said: took 6 weeks off work and studied every day, all day. First 3 weeks I reviewed TPR's texts, while doing corresponding passages on the topic I studied. I made "study sheets" that summarized stuff I needed to memorize. Last 3 weeks I did all the practice tests and the harder passages twice. I have a strong science background, plus it was my second MCAT so this may or may not work for you.

good luck! :)