When to start taking practice tests?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axp107

UCLA>> Italian Pryde
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
A lot of people on these forums seem to have benefited most and have seen the most score increases after having taken a couple of practice tests.

I'm currently enrolled in a Kaplan course and will be taking my first FL tomorrow. I'm about 2/3rds done with content review. My MCAT is on Aug 20th.

About 6-7 weeks left. Should I start perhaps in 2 weeks? I've got access to all the AAMC CBTs and the extra Kaplan FLs.

Members don't see this ad.

I would start the practice tests as soon as possible. It is easy to fall into the trap of reviewing over and over until you feel like you've mastered it, but I think you would benefit more from practicing. You said you have all eight CBTs, and these are the most important tool for preparation. I would take that full length you have coming up, then take an AAMC test to get a feel for how they work. Then I would take 1-2 AAMC tests per week (starting about six weeks before the real thing) so that you can keep targeting weak points and get a lot of consistent practice in.