When to start thinking about financial aid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coldchemist

Biowulf
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So it's January 14th, and I still do not have any acceptances although I have had eight interviews (seven MD/PhD and one MD only). I am starting to wonder if I should begin filing for financial aid in case I don't get into any MD/PhD programs, but it's such a huge headache to apply for financial aid at seven schools that I would just as soon wait a couple of more weeks for an acceptance. What do you think?

CC

Members don't see this ad.

I think maybe you can just get a start by filing the FAFSA, for Stafford loans. At least (depending on where you end up going) this may be of some use to you - even if you get into an MD/PhD program a little later. I have heard of some MD/PhD students taking out subsidized stafford loans just to make things a little easier.

So glad someone finally answered!

Thanks vixey...I've been thinking about that as well and I have already started the FAFSA. Maybe by the time I finish it (if still no acceptances) I can start working on the forms for individual schools.