When to start worrying about reapplying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biostats.moore

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think my MCAT is the only thing holding me back right now..28P (GPA: 3.6). I've applied broadly and still haven't had any interviews. When should I consider starting to retake the MCAT and be ready to reapply for next year...I just want some interviews here!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

It's never too early to start preparing for the worst. I would start reviewing the MCAT materials and take it as soon as you're ready. I'm not sure when the MCATs are offered now (for sure they are offered more frequently), but how sweet would it be if you could tell your interviewer (let's say in April) you just retook the MCAT and got a 36+? The MCAT test is a pain, but it's such a small price to pay considering the huge cost and stress involved in applying to med schools.

Again, I think it's not quite late enough to lose all hope, but it's not too late to start preparing for next year.

Yeah, depending on next semester's heaviness, think about retaking the MCAT. I believe the MCAT will be offered once to twice every month, so I would say wait till February/March.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
1) write update letters to schools

2) prepare for the worst and retake the MCAT