1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

When to Study for MCAT?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Ben25, May 9, 2007.

1. Ben25

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have just finished my freshman year? When do you start studying for the MCAT?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jochi1543

jochi1543 President, Gunner Central
    2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    So have you or have you not?:laugh:

4. AnesthesiaMD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    a few months before you wish to take the test. you shouldn't be worrying about it now especially since MCAT scores are only good for 2-3 years on average. Wait till your junior year to take it, plus you'll have gotten more pre-reqs in.

5. prettymonkey

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    that just made me laugh out loud. i am so tired.

6. Green Pirate

Green Pirate Neurotic Neuro Enthusiast
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    ah. so you must be one of those who is not done with finals yet.

that's a shame.

7. badasshairday

badasshairday Vascular and Interventional Radiology
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    start studying now or else it will be very difficult. Study at least 2 hours a day until your junior year. Then do 8 hours a day for 3 months before you take the exam. You will break 40 my friend.

8. prettymonkey

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    are you sure its not too late? freshman year is really late. might have to do a post-bacc to give more studying time. or take a year off.

9. badasshairday

badasshairday Vascular and Interventional Radiology
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]

Nah, I think he is okay as long as he does 2 hours a day 7 days a week till his Junior year, then ramp up to 8 hours a day. I personally would suggest to start in 6th grade doing 1 hour a day, that way you wouldn't have to cram so much. You know what I mean?

10. AnesthesiaMD

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    lol, definitely!

11. LadyLightning20

10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    MD/PhD Student
    Hey, everyone, give Ben a break. I just finished my freshman year too. ;) though I may be graduating early, which is why I'm taking it now.

12. tmac11

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Get some more pre-reqs in and other classes like genetics that would help you somewhat. Then you can try and tackle the beast junior year.

13. jade1013

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi Ben!
    Don't worry, I myself was concerned about mcats very early and I even took a prep course my sophomore year even though I was planning on taking the test junior year. I realized this doesn't help because you forget the material anyway. Right now, I would focus on other parts of your application like volunteering and ecs. Also take pre-req classes that will help you for the mcat, like some upper-level bio classes. Take the mcats junior year, and study 3 to 4 months ahead of time. I would put in at least a good 15 hours a week to make sure you get a 30+ score. Good Luck!!! :)

14. midn

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Make sure you understand all the concepts in your pre-req classes and then start studying for the MCAT about 3-4 months before your test (depending on your work load). I actually took 5 months to prepare, but I think it could easily be done in less.

Remember, the MCAT test is hardly about knowledge. It does not test beyond basic concepts, but rather asks difficult questions about the basic concepts. The May 25th MCAT had all the formulas you needed to calculate any of the physics problems and was all about reading the passage.

Damnit, why didn't I pay attention more closely to those passages.

/post-test anxiety