When to Study for MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ben25

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just finished my freshman year? When do you start studying for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I have just finished my freshman year? When do you start studying for the MCAT?

a few months before you wish to take the test. you shouldn't be worrying about it now especially since MCAT scores are only good for 2-3 years on average. Wait till your junior year to take it, plus you'll have gotten more pre-reqs in.

Members don't see this ad :)
start studying now or else it will be very difficult. Study at least 2 hours a day until your junior year. Then do 8 hours a day for 3 months before you take the exam. You will break 40 my friend.

start studying now or else it will be very difficult. Study at least 2 hours a day until your junior year. Then do 8 hours a day for 3 months before you take the exam. You will break 40 my friend.

are you sure its not too late? freshman year is really late. might have to do a post-bacc to give more studying time. or take a year off.

are you sure its not too late? freshman year is really late. might have to do a post-bacc to give more studying time. or take a year off.

Nah, I think he is okay as long as he does 2 hours a day 7 days a week till his Junior year, then ramp up to 8 hours a day. I personally would suggest to start in 6th grade doing 1 hour a day, that way you wouldn't have to cram so much. You know what I mean?

Nah, I think he is okay as long as he does 2 hours a day 7 days a week till his Junior year, then ramp up to 8 hours a day. I personally would suggest to start in 6th grade doing 1 hour a day, that way you wouldn't have to cram so much. You know what I mean?

lol, definitely!

Hey, everyone, give Ben a break. I just finished my freshman year too. ;) though I may be graduating early, which is why I'm taking it now.

Get some more pre-reqs in and other classes like genetics that would help you somewhat. Then you can try and tackle the beast junior year.

Hi Ben!
Don't worry, I myself was concerned about mcats very early and I even took a prep course my sophomore year even though I was planning on taking the test junior year. I realized this doesn't help because you forget the material anyway. Right now, I would focus on other parts of your application like volunteering and ecs. Also take pre-req classes that will help you for the mcat, like some upper-level bio classes. Take the mcats junior year, and study 3 to 4 months ahead of time. I would put in at least a good 15 hours a week to make sure you get a 30+ score. Good Luck!!! :)

Make sure you understand all the concepts in your pre-req classes and then start studying for the MCAT about 3-4 months before your test (depending on your work load). I actually took 5 months to prepare, but I think it could easily be done in less.

Remember, the MCAT test is hardly about knowledge. It does not test beyond basic concepts, but rather asks difficult questions about the basic concepts. The May 25th MCAT had all the formulas you needed to calculate any of the physics problems and was all about reading the passage.

Damnit, why didn't I pay attention more closely to those passages.

/post-test anxiety