When to submit AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Richard8794

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying 2008 cycle, and I need some advices
I would really appreciate it if you guys can help me out

I am currently senior at my undergrad school (UCSD) and expecting to graduate Mid-June. That being said, I am kind of confused when should I submit my AMCAS.

I learned that the earliest day I can submit AMCAS is june 1st and it would take several weeks for AAMC to verify my transcript before my application can actually be delivered to I am applying to

I was wondering if it would be better to just wait til early July (When the complete transcript would be available, and I will be having summer research as extra EC).

or Should I just submit my application without spring quarter grades in early June? (and send in my transcript in mid-may, so my application can be completed by early June?)

I will be taking classes for my 2nd major (Economics) this spring quarter

and my GPA would go up like 0.02 (3.73-->3.75) if I get 4.0...

my MCAT is 33 but I am applying to california schools, so I am defintiely "underdog"...

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying 2008 cycle, and I need some advices
I would really appreciate it if you guys can help me out

I am currently senior at my undergrad school (UCSD) and expecting to graduate Mid-June. That being said, I am kind of confused when should I submit my AMCAS.

I learned that the earliest day I can submit AMCAS is june 1st and it would take several weeks for AAMC to verify my transcript before my application can actually be delivered to I am applying to

I was wondering if it would be better to just wait til early July (When the complete transcript would be available, and I will be having summer research as extra EC).

or Should I just submit my application without spring quarter grades in early June? (and send in my transcript in mid-may, so my application can be completed by early June?)

I will be taking classes for my 2nd major (Economics) this spring quarter

and my GPA would go up like 0.02 (3.73-->3.75) if I get 4.0...

my MCAT is 33 but I am applying to california schools, so I am defintiely "underdog"...

You're going to get varying opinions on this forum. In my opinion, a 0.02 increase in your GPA won't make you any more competitive than you already are. You have a great GPA and solid MCAT score, the rest will be up to your ECs and personal statement. Also remember that plenty of people get in with later AMCAS submissions.

RE: your summer research and extra EC, when will you start this? if you submit in July will you have enough Research experience to discuss in your EC section? Sometimes, scientific research starts out slow. Make sure that if you're holding up your AMCAS submission, you're doing so for good reason.

Last year , I remember that AMCAS lost or incorrectly filed the transcripts of some applicants on this forum. This sort of thing tends to happen more when there is a rush of applicants submitting applications.

Also, keep in mind that there is no precedence for AMCAS submission during a year with more than 2 MCAT administrations. So take our advice with a grain of salt, no one can tell you that there's a single best timeline. But keep in mind that as it gets busier, AMCAS tends to make more mistakes and take more time to verify applications.

There is no reason not to submit it as soon as possible. The small GPA increase will not weigh heavily on your application. The research will have a negligible effect on your attractiveness as an applicant as you are just starting it. It is more likely to be helpful during your interviews.

There are a LOT of things that can go wrong with the application cycle outside of AAMC's control, so submitting it asap is one less thing to worry about.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a similar question (or maybe the exact same question). My grades come out at the beginning of June. Should I submit my transcripts in May w/o my spring grades? If so, when my spring grades come out, do I send a new transcript to AMCAS or do I send the transcript (w/ updated grades) directly to med schools? I will be applying after graduation so I will have at least 7 semesters worth of grades on my transcript.

Yeah I was wondering this too. I graduate in may and take the MCAT on june 15. Should I submit my AMCAS before I have taken the MCAT or do I have to wait to get my scores back?

Yeah I was wondering this too. I graduate in may and take the MCAT on june 15. Should I submit my AMCAS before I have taken the MCAT or do I have to wait to get my scores back?

No, you do not need to wait. I submitted my application last July before I had even taken the MCAT (scores released in October).

As soon as the scores are released they will update and finalize your application, but you can get everything else done first.

So does that mean that schools won't look at my primaries until my MCAT scores are submitted? Also when do I need to get in my LORs, I think I have heard they go in with your secondaries. So if the pre-professional comittee at my school dosen't meet until mid september is that going to be a problem?