When to Submit AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polyploidy516

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, I would really like to know when I should submit AMCAS. As I have to take 2-3 summer classes in order to receive my degree, I was wondering if it is alright if I submit my amcas primary towards the end of June (june 20-25) and have the advantage of applying early?

Or is it better to apply around the first week of June instead? The reason why i am concerned is that i have a borderline GPA (3.39) and would like to raise it to about a 3.4-3.45 before I apply. My mcat is a 40R.

I would really appreciate your clarification. Also, when should one be complete at schools in order to maximize their chances at an interview (I am applying to schools in a variety of tiers and am hoping for interviews at a broad range of schools including top tiers).

Your clarifications would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You will have a slight early advantage. However, if you look at this years AMCAS (https://services.aamc.org/AMCAS2_2013/) they are already a full month behind applications. According to their facebook, over 20,000 people have already submitted their primary. That is about half of what submitted last year.

As you can see, the clear advantage comes at submitting on the first few days. Someone that took an extra week and a half to submit is verified over a month and a half after someone who submitted on the first day.

By the time you apply, your three summer classes may raise your GPA 0.05 points (at best). You have to decide if those 0.05 points are worth it.