Sep 14, 2015
Status
Psychologist
I have just begun post-doctoral training and thus will not complete post-doc hours until summer 2016. I was planning on taking the EPPP in spring 2016. However, my post-doc supervised hours will not be complete at that point.

When do people recommend taking the EPPP? Has anybody taken it before completing the required post-doctoral hours for licensure? If so, how did that go? I understand licensure requirements vary by state.

Your help is appreciated.

C

WisNeuro

Board Certified Neuropsychologist
10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2009
Somewhere
Status
Psychologist
In most instances you can take the EPPP in postdoc and just wait until you accrue hours to formally apply for licensure in whatever state you want to apply in. Obviously, double check their requirements, a few states have some weird things in their bylaws. I took the EPPP during postdoc, definitely seemed to help when I was interviewing for positions as they knew I could easily license at that point.

psycguy85

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 29, 2006
Boston, MA
Status
Psychologist
It very much depends on the state. I am licensed in MA, and here you have to be approved to take the EPPP by the Board, after you have accrued all your hours. Other states may be different. Like the previous post said, check with your state board.

Therapist4Chnge

Neuropsych Ninja Faculty
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2006
The Beach
Status
Psychologist
1. It varies by state. Some people take it right after internship (I believe KS and MI allow this, and I'm sure a few other states).
2. As long as you can find some time to study, I'd recommend taking it sooner rather than later bc jobs will want it in hand before they make you an offer.

I waited until the end of my second year of fellowship to take it due to not having time to study (we regularly put in 60+ hr wks). It became stressful cramming it in while interview for faculty positions, so I strongly recommend not waiting until interview season if at all possible.

Last edited:

LETSGONYR

5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2012
Washington, DC
Status
Post Doc
I have just begun post-doctoral training and thus will not complete post-doc hours until summer 2016. I was planning on taking the EPPP in spring 2016. However, my post-doc supervised hours will not be complete at that point.

When do people recommend taking the EPPP? Has anybody taken it before completing the required post-doctoral hours for licensure? If so, how did that go? I understand licensure requirements vary by state.

Your help is appreciated.

C
I took it during my first year of postdoc, before accumulating the hours necessary for licensure. This was no problem in my state, and I got my license upon certification of my postdoc hours.

As others have said, it depends on the state. Someone from my internship took it during her internship year, as her state permitted that (and she was a superstar). Check with your state licensure board to see when they'll approve you to take the test- my state allowed you to take it anytime post-internship.

bmedclinic

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 9, 2008
Status
Psychologist
In virginia you can take it as soon as the board approves you, but you dont have to have hours accrued yet. They also dont technically require a postdoc year.

Aside from state requirements, I'd say to take it as early as possible. I forgot alot. I think had I taken it before internship, I could have studied 2 weeks instead of a few months, waltzed in, and taken it.