When to take Mcat & apply to medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eddie777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I take the MCAT before taking Organic Chemistry2? Organic Chemistry 2 will be the last course that I need to take before applying to medical school. Can I also apply to Medical School while taking Organic Chem 2 or will I have to wait until I'm done taking org chem 2 to apply? Can I apply to medical school before getting back my mcat results? I plan to take my first mcat test in Sept 2011.

Members don't see this ad.

1) there are many threads about taking the MCAT before taking Org 2, btu I havent read any of them. Use the search function.

2) You can apply to schools before your MCAT scores come back, but you will not be considered 'complete' at the schools until they receive your scores. Still, theres no reason to wait until you receive them to begin applying.

3) I would NOT recommend taking the MCAT in Sept and applying that same year. That's getting to be a late application, and although its not a guaranteed rejection or anything, its much more favorable for your chances at many schools to apply earlier rather than later.

So when would be the best time to apply to medical school after taking the Mcat in Sept 2011? The earliest I think I will be able to take it in 2011 is late August 2011 or early Sept 2011.

You can take the MCAT without completing OChem II. Some schools let one substitute Biochem for it, so it isn't a universal requirement, and most would agree you can do well on the MCAT without it. As long as requirements are completed before you matriculate to med school, you'd be fine. You would list them on the application as future coursework, so med schools know you plan to take them.

If you take a September MCAT, you'd be best off applying the following June for maximal consideration.

Last edited: