When to take MCAT diagnostic and where?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boston_3

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I'm hoping to take the MCAT around April/May and I was wondering when folks think I ought to take a diagnostic? I am trying to get on it early since I won't have a ton of time to dedicate to studying, so I'll probably spread it out over a few months. Also, where is a good site/company to take a first diagnostic? Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Personally, I do not recommend taking a diagnostic test prior to studying. I don't really think diagnostic tests provide much insight into relative areas of strength and weakness as each section is limited by 59 or 55 questions. There are many cases where students I have worked with score highly with one sec of C/P questions only to score significantly lower with a different set. I recommend starting 3rd party FL exams between 2-3 months prior to test date after doing some content review and practice passages, and AAMC FL exams starting 1 to 1.5 months before the exam.

Hi there! having a baseline score before you start preparing for the MCAT is always a good idea, as it will help you identify those sections that may require more work. Based on this score, you can start with the lowest section (under 90th percentile). As for where to take this diagnostic, you can complete the AAMC’s Sample Test. Go on their website to know more. Then, some time after you have started your preparation, you can take practice tests. These will allow you to practice full-length exams and help you build stamina for the real exam. You can do AAMC’s Practice Tests 1, 2, 3, or 4 for this. Hope this helps and best of luck!

^ I would not waste one of five AAMC practice exams just to find out which sections you are weakest in prior to seriously preparing for the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user