When to take MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

initialize

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
52a1d71be1bc6cf2da1647a0dfd32807.png

So there's a list of all the classes I've taken so far. Next semester (spring 2017) I'm taking physics 1 and physiology.

I'm also planning on taking a summer course, perhaps biochem is what I'm thinking. Then in the fall I'll take ochem 2 and physics 2.

The question is, would I be ready to take the MCAT by September? If that's the case, that means I'll take the MCAT without knowing any ochem 2 or physics 2 material.

Or would you guys recommend me taking ochem 2 and physics 2 first, meaning I wouldn't be able to take the MCAT until the beginning of 2018?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

You can study physics 2 on your own. I personally found physics 2 easier than physics 1. You are doing the right thing by taking biochem first. There's not a lot of organic chem and the organic chem on the test you should be able to study on your own. Why cant you take organic 2 this upcoming semester?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Well the teacher that's teaching ochem 2 next semester apparently sucks, and I'm trying to maintain my 4.0 so that's why I'm waiting until fall lol.

Thanks for the advice though! Looks like I'll study physics 2 and ochem 2 on my own

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Sorry to bump this thread, but I just wanted to hear any more opinions whether or not I can take the MCAT before taking ochem 2 and physics 2. I'll definitely try to study those courses on my own... another option I was thinking is taking both biochem and physics 2 over the summer, although that would be a lot of coursework over a shortened semester.

What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay here's the real poop because anyone telling you to ignore something on the MCAT that is clearly laid out in the AAMC official guide is o_O

Ochem 2 ... yeah, I agree with that. Focus on the biochem because carbo synthesis is there (glucose to fructose or fructose to glucose, etc)

Physics 2 - I had a crap ton of that on my exam (Bernoulli's, circuits/resistors, electric fields - even did the right hand rule, etc.). Agree that physics 2 is somewhat easier than physics 1 because it's a regurgitation of the formulas with new symbols. Seriously.

In order, on my exam in the C/P section:

Physics 2
Biochem
Orgo 1
Gen Chem 2

I have not, nor will I ever, take orgo 2. Any orgo 2 that you need you can get from the prep books. However, I WOULD take physics 2.

Reactions: 1 users