When to take NBDE pt.1?

Discussion in 'Dental Residents and Practicing Dentists' started by eckz2k, May 9, 2008.

1. eckz2k

5+ Year Member

Hi guys, I have a question which may come off as a lazy attempt to get some information out of you guys.

When should one take the NBDE part 1?
    The reason why I ask this is because I recently was accepted to UOP for DDS and since it is a three year program, I was wondering what would be a good time to take the first part of NBDE?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. crazy_sherm

crazy_sherm å♪▼æ╬‼▄·
    Dentist 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Most of us took it sometime midway through 2nd year.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. UNR.Grad

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Your class is unique in that you will be able to take them either w/ a score (pre 2010) or pass/fail (2010+).

4. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I'm going to take it as late as possible, and considering there are some current Pacific second years who still haven't taken boards, it's going to be a while.

5. Dukie

Dukie Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    They have since changed the school policy, but we were able to take it at the end of the summer after first year. I honestly felt it was too early. I passed, but think I would have scored higher had I waited until after pathology. There really is no rush to complete it. As someone else pointed out, you will also be in an interesting position to decide whether or not you want it to be scored or just pass/fail...

6. eckz2k

5+ Year Member

Thanks you guys...But does it matter if you want to specialize? In other words, I want to go for OMFsurgery and I want to know if the programs require the applicants to take the test for a graded options?

7. UNR.Grad

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=508743

8. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Dear god take the graded version if you have a choice.

9. 54807

54807 Guest
    2+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    welcome to pacific fellow oms wannabe!

You'll probably be taking boards nice and late...no reason to rush. And more time to learn some stuff.

So....by looking at the pacific calendar...earliest you'll take it is after 5th quarter. Latest would be before 9th quarter...you'll be applying for programs at that point!

And probably want to avoid that P/F version of the boards at all costs. Unless you do really well...then you get a P+.

10. griller

5+ Year Member

why take the graded version? if you'll be competing with people who took the p/f boards how will the graded version help you?

would specialty programs frown on waiting to take the p/f exam? i would assume yes, but what about students graduating in 2012 who have a legit choice btw the two exams as opposed to someone graduating in 2011 who would take the exam spring of 3rd year?

11. Yahtzee

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Taking the scored version will help because the program directors are used to that format. If they've been taking residents with a particular set of scores for years and now they've got a choice between two equal candidates, one with a 95 and one with a P, they're bound to take the 95 guy. Granted, at some point this will be out of applicants' control and everyone will take P/F, but while you've got the opportunity to gain an edge, you should take it.

12. griller

5+ Year Member

ahh, very true. it just feels like my app would look better with a 4.0 and a Pass on boards then a 4.0 and a mid 80 on boards, ya know? damn this dilemma. as if dental school wasnt annoying enough

13. UNR.Grad

5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    He's graduating in '11, so he will be applying against students from other schools who have all taken part 1 scored. I bet there are still some RDs out there that think UoP can't teach in 3 years what all other schools teach in 4 years (I do not believe this; UoP's didactics, imo, are among the best). I don't think the next standardized test to get into specialty residencies will be ready to go for the '11 class at UoP; so the boards are needed for them to show how they rank compared to other 4 year students.

14. Yahtzee

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Holy cow! A 4.0!? If you can get that kind of GPA, I'm sure you'll do better than a "mid 80" on boards.

15. griller

5+ Year Member

haha, no 4.0 here. i was just using it as a comparison to what would look better.