When to take PCAT for 2nd year in college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diablonecros

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a current 2nd year student at UCSD doing pre-pharm. When do students usually take their PCATs? By the end of my 2nd year, I will have completed gen bio, gen chem, ochem series, genetics, calc (up to multivariable), physics (mechanics, E&M, and light/optics). Is this sufficient material to take the PCAT? Should I take courses like metabolic/structural biochem, mol bio, cell bio, etc to better prepare myself? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am a current 2nd year student at UCSD doing pre-pharm. When do students usually take their PCATs? By the end of my 2nd year, I will have completed gen bio, gen chem, ochem series, genetics, calc (up to multivariable), physics (mechanics, E&M, and light/optics). Is this sufficient material to take the PCAT? Should I take courses like metabolic/structural biochem, mol bio, cell bio, etc to better prepare myself? Thank you!

You can take it whenever. Just know that there is a shelf life on your pcat score (i think its 3 yrs) You should purchase the practice tests off pearson to evaluate yourself and decide if you are ready. Personally, I think PCAT is more of a test taking skill exam. I recommend taking it a year before when you apply for pharmacy school.

Also, keep in mind that California schools do not require PCAT.