when to take step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johnson

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I take Step 2 in December will I be at a big disadvantage for getting interviews even if I turn in ERAS real early? In other words, what's the latest you should have STEP 2 done?

I have talked to a few ER residents who didn't take their Step 2 till Dec/Jan and they didn't have any problems. But I don't know if they were rare cases.

Thanks for any info.

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on how well you did on Step 1. If you did very well and don't need Step 2, then it doesn't matter when you take it (I have a friend that did it after match). If you are somewhat insecure about your Step 1, then take it before the end of Sept. so it will be included in you application for interviews.

This was just discussed in the Scheduling Q's thread.

Good Luck!

More to the point, I got a 225 on Step 1, do you think it will be a problem if I take Step 2 in December?

Also, should the people writing my LOR's use the CORD form?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Scubbs, thanks for your reply on the other thread, but I am still unsure about when to take step 2. The reason I am obsessing over this is that I have some time off in early sept. that i could put in some intense studying - just wanna make sure this is not too late. From another thread some time back this is what another member said:

"as far as the USMLE date, take it in early august or so. you can submit your ERAS without reporting your USMLE score. once you get the score, you can then update it and the application will be updated online. the programs will get your new scores very soon afterwards. besides, taking step II after your third year isn't too bad. you've already taken all the core rotations."

Thnaks for any help.

Arch

Johnson... I think a 225 is good, and you probably won't have a problem if you take it in December, but it is also sort-of middle of the pack. If you are looking at some of the top programs, the rumor is that they have a 230 cutoff... so Step 2 wouldn't hurt earlier. Just MHO. Also, all EM LOR's will use the SLOR (think it is on SAEM).

Arch... as I said ealier in the other thread, I took it mid-Sept and had no problems. If you have time to study in Sept, then take it then. The other poster was right - you can fully submit ERAS without your scores, and when they come in you can add them to the application. It is easy and they get posted about a day later. Most programs won't start looking at the apps until they are complete with several LOR's and Dean's Letter (Nov. 1st), so you shouldn't have a problem taking the boards in Sept.

Last thought... your EM rotations will DEFINATELY help you with the boards. It refreshes all those 3rd yr rotations (med, surg, OB, psych). And, Step 2, although more painful than Step 1 b/c its longer, is also much easier.

Good Luck all!