When to take the AAMC FL?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

remedy23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have my exam on Sept 13, and so far, I've taken 2 practice FLs (TPR 1 & EK 1), doing only the C/P & B/B sections (using old AAMCs for CARS, and Khan Academy for Psych) and they were HARD.

My scores:
TPR FL 1: C/P = 44/59 (75%), B/B = 31/59 (53%)
EK FL 1: C/P = 39/59 (66%), B/B = 38/59 (65%)

Since I only have a few more weeks left, would it be smarter to start the AAMC Practice FL after I'm done reviewing these 2 practice tests instead of continuing to do practice tests from EK & TPR? I've finished the AAMC Question Packs for Biology & Physics and got ~80% on both.

Members don't see this ad.

I would take the AAMC FL about a week before your exam. Also, having taken two EK FLs, I would recommend doing their CARS stuff too. Their CARS section was more difficult than the AAMC FL but similar in style of questions and passages (most posters also agree EK is the closest thing we have right now to the actual MCAT as far as prep companies go).

Reactions: 1 user
I would take the AAMC FL about a week before your exam. Also, having taken two EK FLs, I would recommend doing their CARS stuff too. Their CARS section was more difficult than the AAMC FL but similar in style of questions and passages (most posters also agree EK is the closest thing we have right now to the actual MCAT as far as prep companies go).

Thank you! Would you say that the EK CARS is better preparation than the AAMC Verbal of Old FLs? I will definitely give CARS a shot!

Thank you! Would you say that the EK CARS is better preparation than the AAMC Verbal of Old FLs? I will definitely give CARS a shot!

Nothing is better than AAMC Verbal but to me it felt easier taking it after EK CARS since I was able to apply the mistakes I learned from the more difficult EK CARS over to AAMC so it helped.

Q packs will be good review.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing is better than AAMC Verbal but to me it felt easier taking it after EK CARS since I was able to apply the mistakes I learned from the more difficult EK CARS over to AAMC so it helped.

Q packs will be good review.

Thank you, I just took the EK CARS of the FL, and you're right, it seems like great practice!

I'm not a fan of taking the AAMC right before the exam. To me it serves little purpose. It basically tells you whether or not you are ready to take the exam. If you do well; great your ready. If not; well are you actually going to reschedule just from that one test? Most people the answer is no.

To me the best time to take the AAMC is after you've done a ton of content review but still not late enough in your prep where you have more time to continue to review and practice and so you can LEARN FROM THE EXAM. You aren't learning anything from the exam if you take it a week before the real thing just doing it and going through your answers. You don't have enough time to pick up things and then actually practice them and see how it goes. You can't really learn from your mistakes, how the AAMC tests and apply it to your practice and give yourself a chance to learn from it and gain. It's the mistakes and things you learn from the AAMC that represent your gain and potential for improvement.

To me, the ideal time might be say 2/3 of the way through your review before the MCAT. This way you've done enough review particularly of content so the score can still be relevant and where a) you can learn from how the AAMC tests and what they focus on and adjust the rest of your prep accordingly b) see where you are really weak on and focus your time accordingly. c) learn from your mistakes and have time to implement strategies to learn from them.

Reactions: 2 users