7+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
What's up guys? Here's my status:
1. Completed most of the first run of Taus
2. Beginning organ systems run Tomorrow
3. Finished Kaplan Q-bank at 70%
4. About 25% through UWorld, all random 50, 66% thus far, but trending upward.

I am going to take at least a few NBME exams and I downloaded the Free 150. Should I take the free 150 late or early? I've heard that its the best predictor, but I would really like to see where I stand right now in a more regulated experience. If I should save it, what's the best NBME to start with?

Thanks for the input.

Oh, and I have 6 weeks left (May 30th test date)

lord_jeebus

和魂洋才
15+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2003
GMT+9
Status
Attending Physician
It is not a good predictor.

First, the questions themselves are not indicative of today's Step I (or even that of 5 years ago).

Second, most study materials out there today have looked at the Free 150 and made sure that everything in them was covered, giving you an advantage there as well.

I would guess the best predictor is whatever the newest NBME is.

vicinihil

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Whatever you take later in your studying will be a better predictor. I think people tend to take the Free 150 later in their studying regimen and hence it turns out to be a better predictor. I don't think anything is as good a predictor as your consistent performance throughout the tests +/- a few points. If you constantly average in the 230s and take the free 150 and get a 260, that doesn't mean you're going to get a 260...chances are, you're still in the 230-240 range. The reverse is also true.

Having said that, personally I think the free 150 is a good test to take at the beginning. It's short and it's free. It'll give you a reasonable idea of where you stand starting off.