When to take the MCAT? help.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ultimateend

fear is the mind killer.
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's my little dilemma. I'm a sophomore that will be done with regular chem, ochem 1 and 2, bio 1 and 2, and physics 1 by the end of spring semester '04 and I plan on taking physics 2 during the summer along with human physiology.

I'm wondering if I should take the MCAT in August when I'm taking physics 2 and physiology or should I wait until April of '05 when biochem, genetics and cell biology are done?

I figure if I screw up in August I can at least retake it in April and make a decent score (hopefully) and still apply early in June. However, if I wait until April and do poorly, then I would need to retake the MCAT in August of '05, but that score won't get out to the schools until October.

By taking physics 2 during the MCAT "study months" would that be detrimental to me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Will Physics 2 and Human Physiology be finished by the time you take the August MCAT?

Assuming that they are, I think it might be a good idea to take the August MCAT. Take a practice exam after the semester is over and see where you are. If you are fairly close, then go for it.

Because the MCAT is so detrimental to your application, I think you should wait until April '05 to take it. And if you need to retake it in August, that's fine. I've known plenty of people who take it in August and get acceptances. I think taking a class during the MCAT study months (Physics, Organic, etc.) is actually more helpful than harmful because you're learning the material for the class AND the MCAT and the material is fresh. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I would wait until April. The classes you take during the school year before the MCAT may be a benefit.

are you taking those two summer classes AND studying for the MCAT at the same time? if so, maybe you should wait ...plan a light spring schedule so you can study for the spring MCAT. Plus, I thought that cell bio, bio chem, and genetics were really helpful for the MCAT. good luck :)

I would take it in August. If you do poorly you could take it again in April and show the adcoms how wonderful you are that you were able to improve your score a bunch. That is assuming you do improve your score in April.

I have taken it 2 times and nothing has been said about the first time I took it except to point out that I was really able to bring up my verbal score.

But you have to keep in mind that you will have to study for it and you need to make sure you can handle the studying time plus your classes. You wouldn't want to screw up your GPA by spreading yourself too thinly during the summer.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Originally posted by ultimateend
Ok, here's my little dilemma. I'm a sophomore that will be done with regular chem, ochem 1 and 2, bio 1 and 2, and physics 1 by the end of spring semester '04 and I plan on taking physics 2 during the summer along with human physiology.

I'm wondering if I should take the MCAT in August when I'm taking physics 2 and physiology or should I wait until April of '05 when biochem, genetics and cell biology are done?

I figure if I screw up in August I can at least retake it in April and make a decent score (hopefully) and still apply early in June. However, if I wait until April and do poorly, then I would need to retake the MCAT in August of '05, but that score won't get out to the schools until October.

By taking physics 2 during the MCAT "study months" would that be detrimental to me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
your situation is exactly like mine. I am going to take physics 2 either in summer or fall 2004.

I think if you are going to take physics 2 in the summer, you should take an MCAT prep course during fall 2004 until spring 2005 while taking an easy load. From many people I've been told to just get the MCAT right the first time, so that means giving myself lots of time to study w/ no other thing taking up my time.

It's up to you. If you are disciplined enough to take summer classes and study for the MCAT, go for it, but do your best. If you take it again, just show great improvement.