When to take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jthinson123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I already have my undergraduate class schedule planned out. I am going to be finished with all of my medical school prerequisites by the end of the spring 2019 semester. I won't graduate until the spring of 2021 because I am a double major. My question is, if I graduate in the spring of 2021, I'm assuming I should apply to medical schools around the summer/beginning of fall of 2020? If that is the case, should I still take the MCAT at the end of my spring semester in 2019, or the end of my spring semester in 2020? If I take it, say in 2019 and don't get the score I am aiming for, is it ok to take it twice (that would mean I could take it again at the end of the spring 2020 semester, right before applying to medical school)?

Members don't see this ad.

yes.

You want to take the MCAT when you are ready and have done prereqs.

You can surely take it twice if you like; however, know that admissions does not favor this approach. Each additional time you take the MCAT, the committee will be more skeptical. So plan on taking it once and doing well.

is it ok to take it twice
It's not a total death sentence, about 1/3rd of admitted students had to take it multiple times. It is something you really, really, really want to avoid if you can though.

I personally am a big fan of studying part-time all summer (while also working part time) and taking it right before starting school. Lets you have a much more consistent schedule with less distractions and other commitments compared to a semester full of classes and ECs. If you have some super awesome full time summer opportunity you can't pass up, then the next best thing is to study during whatever semester will have the lightest courseload.

yes.

You want to take the MCAT when you are ready and have done prereqs.

You can surely take it twice if you like; however, know that admissions does not favor this approach. Each additional time you take the MCAT, the committee will be more skeptical. So plan on taking it once and doing well.

Thank you. Even though it's two years away, I'm definitely going to do everything that I can to ensure that I achieve my desired score the first time around.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not a total death sentence, about 1/3rd of admitted students had to take it multiple times. It is something you really, really, really want to avoid if you can though.

I personally am a big fan of studying part-time all summer (while also working part time) and taking it right before starting school. Lets you have a much more consistent schedule with less distractions and other commitments compared to a semester full of classes and ECs. If you have some super awesome full time summer opportunity you can't pass up, then the next best thing is to study during whatever semester will have the lightest courseload.

That does sound like a good idea. With the schedule I planned out, I will be taking about 9 hours each summer (two summer sessions, each is about four weeks long so, I'll take two classes the first session and one class the second or vice versa).

That does sound like a good idea. With the schedule I planned out, I will be taking about 9 hours each summer (two summer sessions, each is about four weeks long so, I'll take two classes the first session and one class the second or vice versa).
This is what I did (study with simultaneous summer prereq course so I could go abroad) and it was great.

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm new by the way. So I go to a liberal arts college on a trimester system and I can only take 3 courses a term. Fall 2017 I will be a sophomore and I planned out the rest of my courses until graduation (no guarantee that I will get my schedule exactly as I have it). I should finish my MCAT courses by the winter term (2nd term) of my junior year. I planned on taking the MCAT during spring break - like in March. However I have heard that studying while in school is a bad idea, but I don't want to take a gap year and try and turn in my application as early as possible. Any ideas on how I can do that? Thanks :)

P.S. If it matters, I planned on lessening my work load both fall and winter term (two courses instead of three) during junior year.

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I'm new by the way. So I go to a liberal arts college on a trimester system and I can only take 3 courses a term. Fall 2017 I will be a sophomore and I planned out the rest of my courses until graduation (no guarantee that I will get my schedule exactly as I have it). I should finish my MCAT courses by the winter term (2nd term) of my junior year. I planned on taking the MCAT during spring break - like in March. However I have heard that studying while in school is a bad idea, but I don't want to take a gap year and try and turn in my application as early as possible. Any ideas on how I can do that? Thanks :)

P.S. If it matters, I planned on lessening my work load both fall and winter term (two courses instead of three) during junior year.

Might as well wait and take it in April or May.

I know gap years are scary but they're really not bad at all. What's the rush to become a doctor?

Thank you. Even though it's two years away, I'm definitely going to do everything that I can to ensure that I achieve my desired score the first time around.

I'm surprised no one has said this yet.

Your MCAT has an expiration date of three years. If you take it spring of 2019, you have until spring of 2022 to secure admission. Which means you get 2 application cycles, assuming nothing untoward happens in the next 5 years. Assume nothing.

So work backwards instead. You graduate in Spring 2021. So no gap year means matriculation in Fall 2021, so you want to send out applications early May 2020. So you want two shots at your MCAT? Second chance MCAT is early April 2020, so your first MCAT score has to get to you by late March, then test in Jan/February 2020.

.... I should finish my MCAT courses by the winter term (2nd term) of my junior year. I planned on taking the MCAT during spring break - like in March. However I have heard that studying while in school is a bad idea, but I don't want to take a gap year and try and turn in my application as early as possible. Any ideas on how I can do that? Thanks :)

Never understood this approach. You're lessening your workload, possibly extending your college years, so that you can take the MCAT early and prevent a gap year? This is too convoluted, and like you said, too many variables (no guarantee on course/schedule availability). I attended UC Davis, they're on a trimester system as well and you only get 3-4 courses a term unless you're insane. So I know where you're coming from.

Can you adjust it this way instead? (J means junior year, 1/2/3 is your semester, #C is number of courses)
Originally J1-2C, J2-2C, J3-3C -> New J1-3C, J2-3C, J3-1C
Then you can spend Spring break, April, May, June on your 1 class plus MCAT review (check out SN2ed and MCATjelly btw for their 3 mos plan). Finish dedicated review before your finals in mid-June, focus on finals, then take the two weeks after finals to do FL practice, take the MCAT at end of June. Complete your application including LOR while waiting, get your scores end of July and submit. This only works if you already have a generally strong application and just need the MCAT.

However I would just take the gap year, and fill it with something useful like an MPH.

Personally if I could go back, I'd graduate, go into a 2 year Masters in Ana/Phys, and then move on to medicine. Then while everyone is struggling in first two years, you breeze right through because you only need to learn patho and pharma, and you can charge to tutor ana/phys. Actually if I could go back, I'd just shoot for one of those newfangled BS/MD programs.