When to take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

howdy im veeee

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know you're suppose to take it your junior year, but I'm currently a junior and I don't feel comfortable or ready just yet. I was thinking of taking it the summer of my junior year coming into senior year. Is that a good idea? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I know you're suppose to take it your junior year, but I'm currently a junior and I don't feel comfortable or ready just yet. I was thinking of taking it the summer of my junior year coming into senior year. Is that a good idea? Thank you!

Thats when probably 80% of people taking it take it.

Then when do all of these people apply? Like if they are applying for the cycle they are taking the MCAT in, aren't they applying a little too late when the results are back? Or do I just have a complete misconception of this? Thanks.

Here's an example of a typical applicant schedule, it may be a little off but should give you some perspective:

Freshmen Year 05-06
Sophomore Year 06-07
Junior Year 07-08
Summer 08 before Senior Year
Take MCAT April-September 2008
Submit Application June-December 2008 (september or after is fairly late though for most schools)
Secondaries and Interviews September 2008-January 2009
Accepted February-May 2009 (some acceptances are sent out earlier)
Graduate May 2009
Enter Medical School Aug 2009

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are confident in your app and you've decided against taking a year off, IMHO, the best time to take the MCAT is right before you start your junior year. This way you have:

a) 1 whole summer to study for the MCAT, and only the MCAT.
b) the next whole summer (between senior and junior) to apply to medical school, and focus on applying.
c) The downside is that since most schools only consider the MCAT for three years if you don't get in, in the first two years you apply you have to reapply. You essetially "waste" one of the application years by spacing it out. Then again, you shouldn't be applying to medical school in the first place unless you feel confident in your application (I learned the hard way last year ;)).

Other people take it at the beginning of the summer between junior and senior year and then apply the same year. The problem with this is that you have school and MCAT studies at the same time, and then you also have to apply directly after the MCAT.

Personally, I'm a fan of taking a year off. I took the MCAT in the September before my Senior year, then taken the next year off working in the clinical field in a job that I love or doing research that I'm passionate about then apply.

Now barring any of those concerns, there really is only one overriding "correct" answer in my opinon:

You take the MCAT only when you are ready to do well on it.

Another quick question, have you ever heard of anyone becoming a part time student for a semester right before they take the MCAT? For example, to take it in April of your junior year, but at the same time you would only have a few classes, and a relatively easy load, and tons of time to study.

Another quick question, have you ever heard of anyone becoming a part time student for a semester right before they take the MCAT? For example, to take it in April of your junior year, but at the same time you would only have a few classes, and a relatively easy load, and tons of time to study.

I really don't see any point in doing that. Using the summer to study seems much more reasonable.

most people take it summer after junior year. I took it on May 27th between junior and senior year. It worked perfectly for me. I studied throughout the semester, and i had a few weeks after the semester ended to devote strictly to MCAT studying (between like May 8th and May 27th). I submited my DO application on June 11th while waiting for scores, and submitted my MD application after I received my scores on June 26th. It worked out extremey well. Also, if I would have needed to retake, I would have had time in the summer to retake it and I wouldn't have been too late in the cycle. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

I dont think becoming a part time student is necesary. You can definitely take a lighter load (easier classes, a few less units). I took 15 units the semester before my MCAT and I usually take about 16. I set up my schedule so that the same time every week I devoted to MCAT studying....I treated it like another course. Again, this worked out well for me.

Taking it in April is not necessary. Its during the school year and you will definitely be stressing. Takign it in may will allow you to study consistiently but you will also have the assurance of those extra few weeks before the test to devote to MCAT. There really isn't much of an advantage if any at all between submitting your primary application the first week of June and the middle to last week of June (where you would be if you took it in late May).