When to take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quester

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm just wondering when you guys took the MCAT:
- After 2nd year?
- After 3rd year?
- After 4th year?

When you took the MCAT, have you taken both Orgos? What about English courses?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I took my MCAT two years after i graduated because I was doing a postbac. You should take it when you're done with pre-reqs because the material will be fresh in your mind.

I didn't pursue medicine until my senior year, but I took all the pre-reqs during my freshman/soph year. By the time I took it, it was four years since i took the prereqs and i have to admit, it was very difficult relearning the material again. it was awful. so try to take it as soon as you can, but don't rush.

I took both english courses and orgo before i took the MCAT. Orgo does help for MCAT. English...hmm...depends... are you a good reader? (ie do you understand the mainpoint of what you read quickly) if so, then you might be okay for the verabl section. I didn't take too many humanities and that hurt me in the verbal section. My suggestion (if you have time) is take a few humanities questions and get your hands on some practice verbal passages. Learn to read for the mainpoint. It's all about how quickly you can comprehend passages. So while you're taking humanity courses and reading tons of material, try to read them the way you would read verbal passages on the MCAT. That's what I would've done had I known everything that I do now. If you don't have time (ie you're a jr/sr), just practice as many verbal passages as you can. practice practice practice. there's nothing else to it. :)

schedule everything so that you have all your prereqs done by the end of second year if at all possible. Then prep the following summer and then take it after that.

This is comming from a junior who just took the mcat last week who REALLY regrets not doing the prep over the summer. Doing it with school will make your life hell. Just trust me. Prep takes WAY more time than you could imagine... especially if you have taken lots of biology.

This also puts you in a possition where you will have PLENTY of time to retake the MCAT if you need to, and you should have most of the necessary material you need for the MCAT fresh on your mind.

Yeah, this is actually what I did/am doing, and it's working well for me. I'm taking the MCAT halfway into the summer so I can actually have fun for July and August, but the basic concept is still the same. Also, I feel like if I need to push it back I'm not jeopardizing my ability to apply early.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took my MCAT two years after i graduated because I was doing a postbac. You should take it when you're done with pre-reqs because the material will be fresh in your mind.

I didn't pursue medicine until my senior year, but I took all the pre-reqs during my freshman/soph year. By the time I took it, it was four years since i took the prereqs and i have to admit, it was very difficult relearning the material again. it was awful. so try to take it as soon as you can, but don't rush.

I took both english courses and orgo before i took the MCAT. Orgo does help for MCAT. English...hmm...depends... are you a good reader? (ie do you understand the mainpoint of what you read quickly) if so, then you might be okay for the verabl section. I didn't take too many humanities and that hurt me in the verbal section. My suggestion (if you have time) is take a few humanities questions and get your hands on some practice verbal passages. Learn to read for the mainpoint. It's all about how quickly you can comprehend passages. So while you're taking humanity courses and reading tons of material, try to read them the way you would read verbal passages on the MCAT. That's what I would've done had I known everything that I do now. If you don't have time (ie you're a jr/sr), just practice as many verbal passages as you can. practice practice practice. there's nothing else to it. :)

Uh oh...looks like i'll be in trouble. but seriously, if i practice verbal passages for 1 academic year, do you think i would then be prepared?

btw, what exactly is 'post-bacc?' Is it just taking extra undergrad courses after you graduate?

schedule everything so that you have all your prereqs done by the end of second year if at all possible. Then prep the following summer and then take it after that.

This is comming from a junior who just took the mcat last week who REALLY regrets not doing the prep over the summer. Doing it with school will make your life hell. Just trust me. Prep takes WAY more time than you could imagine... especially if you have taken lots of biology.

This also puts you in a possition where you will have PLENTY of time to retake the MCAT if you need to, and you should have most of the necessary material you need for the MCAT fresh on your mind.

wait...so prep during second year summer and also take MCAT during that summer too, right?

Yeah, this is actually what I did/am doing, and it's working well for me. I'm taking the MCAT halfway into the summer so I can actually have fun for July and August, but the basic concept is still the same. Also, I feel like if I need to push it back I'm not jeopardizing my ability to apply early.

And you feel well prepared for the MCAT for 2 months of studying?

And you feel well prepared for the MCAT for 2 months of studying?

I actually studied throughout the spring semester, and then I have about a month post-finals (happening now) to study. I feel like I've had enough time to prepare, but I'll let you know as it gets into crunch time.

Personally, I feel like there's less pressure for me since I'm not applying this season, but I was lucky to be able to fit in all the prereqs in 2 years without killing myself.

Most people take it at the end of their third year, or in the summer right after. This gives you enough time to take all your pre-reqs comfortably, but gives you a few weeks/months before your AMCAS can be submitted.