When to take the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoctor08

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have pretty much finished all of my prerequisites, am going to start applying next summer. I originally wanted to get the MCATs out of the way this summer, since I'm taking just one class (survey of biochem) and doing research. The thing is I haven't even started looking at MCAT materials. My fall schedule this year is going to be pretty busy as well. Also, I'm takiong anatomy and physiology next fall, which I heard is pretty helpful when studying for the MCAT. Should I go ahead and take the MCATs this summer or wait until around winter break?

Members don't see this ad.

So I have pretty much finished all of my prerequisites, am going to start applying next summer. I originally wanted to get the MCATs out of the way this summer, since I'm taking just one class (survey of biochem) and doing research. The thing is I haven't even started looking at MCAT materials. My fall schedule this year is going to be pretty busy as well. Also, I'm takiong anatomy and physiology next fall, which I heard is pretty helpful when studying for the MCAT. Should I go ahead and take the MCATs this summer or wait until around winter break?

sorta in the same situation, any comment would be appreciated

If you have all the basics done (ask your advisor), you can always do what I'm doing and take the MCAT in August. That'll give you 3 months to prepare.

There's a good 3 month plan here, Sn2d's, check it out!

You should definitely take it this summer, but try to minimize your other commitments. You don't want to be doing too much where you can put it anywhere from 5-10 hours a day studying. Taking it in the summer is the best because then you can devote so much time to the MCAT. You might want to consider taking a prep course as well