when to take the OAT and apply to optometry schools of senior year of undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futureeyedocgirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be a senior at my undergrad school and am signed up to take Physics 2 this upcoming fall. I signed up to take the OAT sept 21st but am afraid that I will do horribly on the physics section of the exam since I have not taken physics 2 yet. If I apply to optometry schools in september and am not satisfied with my OAT score can I then re-take the exam in December and send my new scores to those optometry schools or will it be too late?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The physics 2 material that showed up on the OAT was reasonable and straightforward. Watch some videos on electrostatics, circuits, and optics by khanacademy, and do some practice problems. That should help you do well on those parts without having had physics 2 under your belt.

As for your question, I don't really know much about that. I would assume that retaking it in December is fine, but you could always contact the schools you'll be applying to and ask.

Watch Chad's videos and study physics II stuff. Don't let yourself think you are going to retake it. Just rock it the first time and be relieved of the stress of the test and applying to schools! So go study before school!

I was pretty weak on physics before I took the OAT myself, being out of college for 6 years, and 8 years from any physics class, but the Kaplan "Cracking the OAT" book was very heavy on physics and helped me a lot. Physics ended up being my second highest score overall.