When to take the test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hardworker101

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I appreciate any advice. I decided to take the Apr MCAT, and I am a junior now. I certainly don't want to take too many classes, I probably take only biochem and other easy classes.
Question: people told me to take biochem AND genetics before trying mcat. This means if I take gentics spring along with biochem then I will not have time for apr MCAT and I have to push it back to Aug, and I probably take no class in summer to prep real good. However, Aug seems late.
I am confused? What is your opinion. Is a good score in Aug better or a ok score in April? What would you have done

PLEASE let me know

Members don't see this ad.

I would definitely suggest taking Genetics before the MCAT - there are quite a few genetics-based questions. If you feel that you can't do both classes and the April MCAT, you should definitely bump to the August MCAT. It would be way better to feel prepared and do well in August than to bomb it in April (not implying you would, you get the point). Best of luck on the MCAT and in the application process! :thumbup:

The MCAT version I took wasn't too genetics intensive--nothing beyond the material in a Kaplan or PR book. But you should definitely aim for the April MCAT. Waiting for August scores will delay your application processing, which will put you at a disadvantage for rolling schools.

This should probably be in the MCAT forum, where it's been discussed to death.

Short version: some people are adamant that you should take genetics pre-MCAT. Some people don't think it's necessary. Some people don't care.

It seems to me that the people who are gung-ho about taking genetics pre-MCAT had less of a genetics component in their general bio classes. I personally had quite a bit of genetics in my general bio -- more than enough for the MCAT. Combine that with a good source of review material (Kaplan, TPR, EK, whatever floats your boat) and I saw no need to take extra genetics pre-MCAT. I did quite well.

I don't think biochem is necessary, either, but I found it very, very helpful and would recommend it highly.

I would definitely take the April MCAT if at all possible. I certainly wouldn't put it off just to take genetics.

Good luck! :luck: