When to take vacation from work for MCAT studies

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by ntxawmx, Jan 3, 2000.

1. ntxawmx

ntxawmx Senior Member

Hello All,

I plan to take the April MCAT and need some advice. I work full time and I'm wondering when would be the best time to take vacation so I can concentrate on some last minute studies. I only have about 1 week's worth of it. Should I take it all the week prior to April 15 or should I do it two weeks before and relax shortly before the exam? Or would it be better to spread it over a couple weeks, a day here and there? What makes more sense?

Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member

I would recomend not studying during the weak before the MCAT other than review of formulas. When you take off should depend on your learning style. If I was in your situation I would be better off planning several small study sessions, reviewing a little each day if possible, reather than trying to do it all in one week.

That is pretty much what I did and I felt very prepared for the MCAT. Don't forget to schedule yourself time to take several full length practice tests and then grade them and look up the answer to every question you either got wrong or guessed on. This is a very effective way of strengthening material that you are weak on.

------------------
    Carrie
    KCOM '03

4. Paul's Boutique

Do not study on Thursday or Friday before the MCAT: NO notes, NO books, NO flashcards.... nothing. You'll only confuse yourself.

Go out to a party, see a movie, run laps... whatever. Just get to bed early friday nite, and it'll soon be all over...

5. Hanly Burton

Hanly Burton Junior Member

I agree with Carrie completely. Study a little every day, and take vacation time if you need to in late February or early March to do full day practice exams. I did three full-day practice exams, and they really helped me with pacing on the real thing. Good luck.
    Hanly